Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Occasional Superheroine Reader Profile: Dan Grendell


Name: Dan Grendell

Website/blog: www.comicpants.com

Comics you read: Oh, boy. I work in a comics store, and review them for a website, so it might be easier to ask me what I *don't* read. I tend to read as much as I can from publishers large and small each week, to best serve our customers. What I actually buy is much more limited, though. I tend to be pretty picky about what I'll actually take home. Current books that make it include:

Marvel Adventures: Avengers, Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, various Power Pack mini-series, Captain America, Fantastic Four, Immortal Iron Fist, Incredible Hulk, Nova, Annihilation: Conquest, The Order, She-Hulk, Thor, Thunderbolts, X-Men: First Class, X-Factor, Kabuki, and Criminal from Marvel.

Brave and the Bold, Blue Beetle, Birds of Prey, Manhunter, Batman and the Outsiders, Wonder Woman, Fables, and Northlanders from DC.

Hellboy, BPRD, Empowered, Grendel, Usagi Yojimbo, Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Satsuma Gishiden, and Path of the Assassin from Dark Horse.

Proof, Invincible, Special Forces, Age of Bronze, Godland, Dynamo 5, True Story Swear to God, and Fell from Image.

Punks, Scott Pilgrim, Courtney Crumrin, Love and Rockets, Arsenic Lullaby, Finder, Order of the Stick, Nocturnals, Queen and Country, Fallen Angel, Local, Wormwood, PS 238, The Killer, Robotika, Mouse Guard, Artesia, and Modesty Blaise from various indy publishers.

Kindaichi Case Files, Yotsuba&!, Miki Falls, Hollow Fields, Monster, Pantheon High, and King City by various manga publishers.

Fave artist: Dan Brereton. His creepy style of painting has always just done it for me.

Fave writer: This is a tough one. It's a toss-up between Gail Simone and Jeff Parker right now, I think, though this changes all the time as I discover new people.

Fave character: Probably Lady Shiva, from DC. Somewhat obscure, and not all that important, but I've just always liked her. Can't really explain why.

First comic you ever read: I dunno about the first one I read, but the first one I actually remember reading was "Saga of the Swamp Thing" #21, 'The Anatomy Lesson', by Alan Moore, Stephen Bissette, Rick Veitch, and John Totleben. I was maybe ten when I read it, and it had a huge impact on me. The issue scared me, intrigued me, and delighted me, all at the same time.

Your favorite comic book "memory": (either related to comics or actually in a comic) The scene from near the end of "Lone Wolf and Cub", where Daigoro protects the swords of his father and Yagyu from all comers, including a runaway wagon, showing such devotion that he inspires the surrounding people to form a ring of protection around the blades.

Most frustrating comic book "moment": When I realized that most comics fans are not into the same things I am, and as a result many of the books I enjoy will be canceled early due to low sales.

Where/how do you buy your comics?: At the store where I work each week.

Floppies or trades?: Both, though I prefer trades.

Marvel or DC?: Again, both. I don't care who publishes a comic so long as it's good.

Star Wars or Star Trek?: Star Wars.

Non-comic book hobbies: Reading 'real' books, watching movies, playing role-playing and board games

Personal motto: Be honest, with yourself and everyone else.

How did you start reading "Occasional Superheroine?": I followed a link from Tom Beland's blog.

2 comments:

  1. BELAND BRINGS 'EM IN BY THE... ummmmm... one..?

    Yer gonna love this place, Dan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, thanks Tom. I dig the atmosphere around here, and Valerie has an outlook on things that's refreshing, even when I don't agree with her. It's always a fun, and often a thought-provoking, read.

    ReplyDelete