Pages

Saturday, January 05, 2008

Occasional Superheroine Reader Profile: SAMMY THE K


Name: Sammy the K

Location: Dallas, Texas

Occupation: I work in advertising, we are the machine, buy our clients' shit (Nokia cell phones are awesome, no seriously, buy lots of them while drinking your Sierra Mist Cranberry Splash, it's a wonderfully delicious beverage sent down to earth by magic, get some today before its too late!)

Website/blog: http://newslined.blogspot.com

Comics you read: welllll..... I could just say everything Marvel and DC and Vertigo, OOOORRRRRR I could list every title I read (and it says read not enjoy) sooo...

Astonishing X-men, Uncanny X-men, X-men (can I say Mike Carey has made X-men one of the best superhero comics out right now? I just did.), New X-men, Wolverine, Wolverine: Origins (like I said read, not enjoy), X-Factor, and other X-titles I am forgetting... oh yeah the crap that Claremont puts out... god I feel like cutting every time I read it to actually feel something other than boredom

Liberal Avengers and Republican Avengers and Young Avengers and Avengers: Army Recruiting Propaganda

Spiderman (dropped recently), Fantastic Four, Iron Fist, Thor (probably best Marvel book), Runaways, She-Hulk, Hulk, Thunderbolts, etc etc etc, Ultimates (Loeb's sucks), Ultimate X-men

DC: Supergirl, Wonder Woman, Justice League, Flash, Green Lantern, GLCorps, Countdown, Teen Titans, Green Arrow/Black Canary, Justice Society of America, Booster Gold... anything Geoff Johns touches I'm there.

Dark Horse: Buffy The Vampire Slayer (Season 8), IDW: Angel: After The Fall (Season 6)

Trades: Y The Last Man, Ex-Machina, DMZ, Nightly News, Fables, Jack of Fables, Ultimate Spiderman, Scalped, Walking Dead (my new favorite!!!)

Fave artist: Hmmmmm gonna have to go with Steve McNiven orrr Ed Benes...

Fave writer: Really hard one for me... Brian K Vaughan and Geoff Johns and Mark Millar all rotate on that one, oh and I love me some Neil Gaiman and Mike Carey and Joss Whedon.

Fave character: Conner Kent, Superboy, named my doggy after him

First comic you ever read: X-men when I was 4 years old

Your favorite comic book "memory": (either related to comics or actually in a comic) Probably has to be the Cannonball vs Gladiator Christmas time issue of Uncanny X-men. That and the end of Age of Apocalypse: Omega where Magneto rips Pocsy in half. And Onslaught vs Marvel U.

Most frustrating comic book "moment": Spiderman One More Day. I have never hated a comic story more, nor will I ever. I know that sounds crazy but it's true, I am extremely disappointed in Marvel. 2nd would be Conner Kent dying and not coming back.

Where/how do you buy your comics?: Zeus Comics and Toys in Dallas, Texas, gay owned and operated and wonderful and awesome. (Friends of Lulu always comes to CAPE there, so you'll be expected this year.)

Floppies or trades?: both, depends on the title, generally read Vertigo/Indie stuffs in trade, and superhero stuffs in floppy.

Marvel or DC?: Both, started out Marvel, and was Marvel enthusiast for 20 years, but Identity Crisis got me into DC and ever since then I have been leaning more towards DC than Marvel, and after past year or so, definitely leaning more towards DC, but can't wait for Secret Invasion, so we'll see...

Star Wars or Star Trek?: Harry Potter

Non-comic book hobbies: Love indie rock, like to go to bars and drink lots, travel a lot

Personal motto: You don't have to accept anything cause there is nothing to accept, I just am

How did you start reading "Occasional Superheroine?": Randomly one day clicked a link by accident, loves it

4 comments:

  1. Wait, is Young Avengers still coming out? I liked that for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. We need more people like Sammy in Dallas. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it's still coming out, but they were in the Civil War: Young Avengers/Runaways mini, and there's gonna be a miniseries called Young Avengers Presents

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah- that Runaways/YA comic was notable for screwing over what both comics were good for...I kind of hated it.


    Oh, by the way, for the record: I really wish Xavin would get his/her Skrully shit together & just BE A GIRL already.

    Just me.

    ReplyDelete