Top 20 Comic Books For May
(with my notes)
(with my notes)
1. FALLEN SON: DEATH OF CAPTAIN AMERICA (cool, but getting a little played out)
2. DARK TOWER GUNSLINGER BORN #4 (Of 7) (didn't read)
3. JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #9 (eh)
4. CAPTAIN AMERICA #26 (cool)
5. NEW AVENGERS #30 (ok)
6. ASTONISHING X-MEN #21 (didn't read)
7. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #540 (didn't read)
8. MIGHTY AVENGERS #3 (cool)
9. ALL STAR BATMAN & ROBIN #5 (good god)
10. WORLD WAR HULK PROLOGUE WORLD BREAKER (awesome)
11. INCREDIBLE HULK #106 (World War Hulk) (awesome)
12. BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #3 (ok)
13. ULTIMATES 2 #13 (cool)
14. AVENGERS INITIATIVE #2 (cool)
15. 52 WEEK #52 (didn't read)
16. JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #6 (eh)
17. WOLVERINE #54 (didn't read)
18. NEW AVENGERS ILLUMINATI #3 (Of 5) (didn't read)
19. COUNTDOWN 51 (didn't read)
20. COUNTDOWN 50 (didn't read)
I find the promotional push for Hulk and Cap rocketing them to the top of the chart to be impressive; awesome way to revitalize these "warhorses."
TV/Movie/Book adaptations historically tend not to do so well, but I eye Stephen King in the #2 slot & Buffy at #12 with some interest. These are both properties that extend far beyond the comic fan audience and cross over to both genders.
I find the JLA/JSA crossover, 52/Countdown, and All-Star Batman to not be "core" books but more gimmicky. DC needs more "core" non-gimmicky books in the top 20. They need to build long-term fans and not coast them on one "event" after another, one "stunt writer/artist" after another.
I haven't read Wolverine since I was 18. They still put this out? They rebooted it too? Where was I?