Pages

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A Few Thoughts...

More details next week, but in case you've been following this bloggy saga since I first rebooted the site almost two years ago and wrote "Goodbye To Comics"...

I'm living my dream now. I never thought I could get to this point. No, scratch that -- when I was a kid, I thought for sure I could get to this point. But as an adult, achieving my deepest wishes seemed too difficult, too uncertain. I received a lot of advice back then that is helpful now, and a lot of advice that set me back for years.

Basically, any advice that stated, in one form or another, that I had to play it safe, not be myself, and do what everybody else did was wrong. It was wrong. How does that old saying go? The nail that sticks out the furthest gets whacked the hardest? Was that line from the Sopranos? I dunno. But that type of advice never helped me.

And I'm writing this now to say that even if you think, in your darker hours, that you can't achieve your dream -- you can. But being true to yourself is going to be a big part of your success.

I feel incredibly lucky and grateful for the opportunities I have now. I wish I could go back in time and tell the 13-year-old me that this day was going to eventually come. But, I think she already knew.

16 comments:

  1. You, dear lady, are an inspiration to us all. Here's to living the dream! May you never wake up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't dream it, be it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on living your dream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, this is WONDERFUL! Congratulations, Val! I too, have just recently learned that the only way I am going to achiever real success is if I am honest and true to who I am.

    Best wishes to you!

    www.kevenn.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Val!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy crap, Val, if you're writing what I think you're writing (from piecing together Rich Johnston's clues), then I bow to you. My favorite, favorite, FAVORITE characters ever. (Did I mention they're my favorites?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats, indeed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, it is true! Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I suck at figuring out clues. On the Mystery Inc. crime solving scale, I'm Shaggy. Good luck nontheless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many congrats...wish I was going to be in SD to hear the actual announcement, but I'm sure someone will post something about it somewhere within a few days or seconds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats, Val. I'm starting to come to that same conclusion you're talking about here; here's hoping I come to the same results because of it. Can't wait to hear the official announcement of whatever it is you're working on!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cloak & Dagger?

    I suck at clues too. Even after re-reading half a dozen previous LitG entries, I still can't work it out. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a lot of awesome wrapped up in a smallish post. A whole HELLUVA lot of awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Val, as someone who's been following the blog since GTC, I'm so glad to see that you're happy and successful. ^^ Make no small plans and all that and stay wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Christopher, I believe you sell yourself short.

    Congrats, Val!

    ReplyDelete
  16. And once again, now that the cat's completely debagged, congrats on Cloak & Dagger!

    ReplyDelete