Pages

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Occasional Links


Does Selina Kyle indeed have nipples molded onto her costume on this cover? Or is she just very...ah...no, not "happy," I'm looking for a word...ebullient? That's right, ebullient.


JJ Abrams is looking for a few good cadets for his new Star Trek movie:

"Talent with interesting and unique facial features such as: long necks, small heads, extremely large heads, wide-set eyes, bug eyes, close-set eyes, large forehead, short upper lip, pronounced cheekbones, over- or undersized ears and/or nose, facial deformities, ultra plain-looking people, ultra perfect-looking people, pure wholesome looks, twins, triplets, emaciated talent, regally poised and postured talent, or other visually unique characteristics."

I think Abrams is just trying to save on make-up & special effects.


Video: The Sesame Street "Women Can do Anything" song. Nice, but doesn't change the fact that the most iconic Sesame Street female characters we have are the wishy-washy Mary Lou and Prarie Dawn, when Ernie & Cookie Monster get all the best lines. Yeah, just like "Saturday Night Live."


With even more Mattel recalls, will parents shun toys for their youngsters this holiday season? And could the comic book industry see this as an "in" for their non-lead-based products? I mean, what would you rather have for Christmas...a toxic choo-choo train or the collected hardcover for "Godland?" I think I've made my point.


With "Aquaman" cancelled, thank God we have Platinum Studios' "Atlantis Rising" for only 25 cents on sale this week to satisfy all needs aquatic. I liked how I wrote that one.


"The Office" Fan-Fiction Repository. Complete with slash, maudlin angst-fics, and Harry Potter crossover story.


"Then I want there to be a bit of a penis peeking out from under Misato's skirt, but the head of thr penis is Gendo's face." Anime convention horrors. (via Journalista)


Hm. I think I'm going to buy a few donuts now and curl up with some exciting freelance work and a heating pad. See ya, kids!


7 comments:

  1. I wonder if they'll call the TPB "Catwoman: Nipples of Steel"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as SNL is concerned, it's the fault of the women for not having better lines. Tina Fey was the head writer during a period where the show was *painfully* unfunny. She wasn't writing any good lines for the women, or the men, to have.

    With SNL, the actors can write their own stuff. If they write something funny and it passes muster, then they can say whatever they want on the show. There's no hidden agenda to keep the SNL women from being funny, they just aren't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the female cast members really broke through during Tina Fey's run. You had Molly Shannon, Ana Gasteyer, Rachel Dratch, Maya Rudolph, Cheri Oteri, Amy Poehler... I'd even go as far to say the women out talent the men on the show. Not to say there haven't been funny guys on SNL in the last ten years, but considering they outnumber the female cast-members by, like, six to one, that's saying a lot.

    Have a good day.
    G Morrow

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do recall reading a former SNL staffer leaving because she never got her scripts to air, and her male cohorts' unfunny sketches were promoted ahead of hers... I can't recall her name though, sorry.

    And, Val, did you just say you wrote Atlantis Rising, or did I fail reading comprehension again?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ebullient's a great word. Yes, definitely, ebullience is what that cover is all about...

    ReplyDelete
  6. In regards to recent SNL casts:

    While the women may not be getting as much good or quality screen time, they are certainly the better-recognized names.

    IMO, YMMV.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "With even more Mattel recalls, will parents shun toys for their youngsters this holiday season?"

    No

    "And could the comic book industry see this as an "in" for their non-lead-based products?"

    No

    "I mean, what would you rather have for Christmas...a toxic choo-choo train or the collected hardcover for "Godland?" I think I've made my point."

    This is what we call a gift-giving "Sophie's Choice"

    ReplyDelete