Pages

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Val Reviews Flash #238!


Based on the title's troubled history for the last year or so, I was predisposed not to like Tom Peyer's new Flash run (starting with #238). But, the writer has a winning, down-to-earth style that made reading the title a joy and not a slog-through-for-the-review sort of deal.

The basic idea of Peyer's Flash is that it's tough for a superhero to make a decent living, especially when the hero in question has kids. Flash #238 starts with the family's cable being turned off, and it only gets better from there. At one point, the Flash is quoted, as he is fighting crime, that it is stressful having a job that you don't get paid for (I can sometime relate to this). Then he is bashed by a Keith Olbermann-type newscaster for saying the remark.

Peyer is the type of writer who asks the question, "how would this work in the real world?" He pulls off the answer to this question in a way that doesn't feel cliche.

My only problem with the issue was the super-kids. I would be inclined to request they be used to clog up that hole Superboy punched in time -- but then is it me saying that "kids/family don't make good comics?" How close is that to "marriage is boring in comics?"

Full disclosure, I worked with Tom many moons ago on Magnus Robot Fighter for Acclaim. At the time, Mike McKone had left and we had a horrible string of fill-in artists. I swear to God, we had one issue where we gave each page to a different inker and they all had to do it overnight. But Peyer's writing was good.

That said, Peyer has been more of a "cult" writer whose work is loved by a loyal group of fans but doesn't seem to bring in blockbuster numbers. Case in point, Hourman, which is fondly remembered by many people but was canceled after like 25 issues. However, I find this new arc on Flash very readable and new-reader friendly, with great art by Freddie Williams III, so I hope it is given a shot.

7 comments:

  1. Hurm. I'd passed on this despite liking Peyer's work because of the debacle that the Flash has become over the past two years.

    But if it really is good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:28 PM

    I've found Peyer to be interestingly hit and miss. His Authority fill in work was surprisingly good, but his killer taxi storyline in Punisher was bad news bears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Batman wouldn't just hit him with a stipend for, you know, saving the world eight or nine times a year?

    I know that's probably reading too much into a shared universe but, no, the Flash wouldn't have his cable shut off.

    Also: kids can work in comics, it's just that... in a superhero book with an adult lead, they kind of need to be background supporting characters most of the time.

    Just like how marriage can work for a superhero character as long as every plotline isn't about being a married superhero and the struggles that come with it...

    Dudehero or Ladyheroine just happens to be married and occasionally it is brought up.

    Yeah.

    Still. Bat-Stipend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm confused. You say you enjoy what Peyer is doing here, but then you go on to say you don't like the kids? Don't Wally's money troubles hinge on the fact that he has kids to take care of now? I'd say they're an integral part of the whole realistic responsibilities theme Peyer is building here. Or do you just not like the kids themselves, rather than the idea of them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The kids were on the book before Peyer arrived. I'd rather they not be superpowered; or, rather, I find the one kid with the ugly "super-muscles" a little annoying. But now that they're established, I think Peyer should just work with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, Jai's supermuscles look is really creepy.

    I thought this was a pretty decent issue; Spin might not have more than one story in him, but it's an interesting Sliver-Agey idea, in a "dumb science" way.

    And as much as I love Olbermann (and his Worst Person segment), I was happy to see someone take a jab at him. I'm surprised I hadn't seen someone in comics do it before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. since they killed the last short lived flash off because of poor sales ive found myself reading the flash less and less. this was a good issue but the whole "superfamily" is kind of cheesy and the end was something ive seen a good number of times before.

    ReplyDelete