Pages

Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Marvel Boy Saga


Apparently, the "reign of terror" perpetrated by the blogger known only as "Marvel Boy" has come to an end, as his second blog has been deleted (though he might always start another account somewhere else). To those who don't know, Marvel Boy was seemingly a mole within Marvel -- the assumption being either an intern or assistant -- who gave away the spoilers to Marvel's books, falsely incriminated his fellow co-workers, and pretty much acted like a cocky jackass.

At the very beginning, I did consider the possibility that "Marvel Boy" might have been a viral marketing campaign on the company's part. I didn't consider this because I doubted their integrity, but because with the advent of viral promotional attempts like Lonelygirl 15 and the Aqua Teen Hunger Force bomb scare, such marketing techniques that blur the line between fact and fiction have come in vogue.

However, after reading and analyzing this individual's LiveJournal entries, I ruled out Marvel's involvement. But, I also wondered if there might be a little more to the "Marvel Boy Saga" than met the eye.

Whatever the case, when a Marvel editor's name got dragged into this by "Marvel Boy," I got really pissed off -- because the editor in question is a really nice guy with a family who has always been very generous to fans. It was another case of the Internet f**king with an individual's personal life, and for what?

It's not a joke. And, despite Marvel Boy's rather melodramatic prose, it's not a comic book either.

It's real life.

I was going to use a bunch of Marvel Boy quotes in my original post on the subject. With the LiveJournal now deleted, you can read these:

"...here I can say whatever I want and I will, until the day they catch me (which, the way things look here, will be a LOOOOOONG time if ever). It’s easy to cover tracks, anyone with half a brain and an internet connection can do this without anyone really getting to them. It’s so simple it’s almost pathetic!"
***
"Looks like the game is getting serious now! Not only did I get a shout out in the senior editor meeting today but now the lawyers are involved and they can’t even figure out who I am. Seriously? Is this even legal if it’s addressed to “Mr. Conners?" Like I’d use my REAL NAME?!?!"
***
"Everybody has plans!! well, I'm right here and I know my plan is better because I care! I care a lot. that's why I am working here for next to nothing, because I CARE A LOT!!"
***

"Ever see Blade Runner? ...I was reminded of that movie just now because at the end the bad guy gives a speech about all the things he's seen. And I have seen a few things here at the office today."

***
"Wow, looks like I got famous real fast. Seems like people think either I'm not real or if I am, easy to track down. You're wrong on both. I am very real but I'm not dumb either. I've been around for a while and not been caught yet, and don't plan on it. You want proof? Wait for it."

***
"I wish I was going to Wizard World. But nooooo, I'm here, photocopying and cataloging and helping make sure THE ESSENTIAL SERIES YOU FORGOT EVER EXISTED gets on shelves by the crucial June street date that some marketing genius or another has decided will guarantee maximum sales. The glow of the photocopier is much better than Los Angeles, any day of the week."

***

"Someone entertain me, damnit!"

***
"Because the snark, i have found, is completely disengenuous. Its a lie. I'm not completely sure any of them know that's what they are doing. Most seem to think they are the perveyors of truth. That they are saving the medium with thier snark and piss. They don't seem to see their inner child screaming at them to actually contribure something of value to this medium that has brought them so much joy.

And, yes, I am aware that not all bloggers have the same mental malady. so my question to you is: what about the ones that piss on something that makes them happy just to piss on it?? What is that mental illness called?

I'm asking because I might have it. "
***
"The only we are me and the voices in my head, but they are mine."

12 comments:

  1. Gotta love internet "celebrity".

    Happy Easter to everyone at OS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what about the ones that piss on something that makes them happy just to piss on it?? What is that mental illness called?

    The technical term is "asshole".

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, uh, i totally missed that drama.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WTF? I totally missed this one too, and I'm glad. People tend to be nasty everywhere, I'm learning, but that one was taking the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I never heard of this beeswax either. Maybe just like Easter, April Fool is coming early this month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was interesting if nothing else. I don't imagine too many people really thought it was Wacker doing it, like they'd have him working the photocopier :) If they did I'm sure he was at least getting paid editors money to make copies, lol.

    I know I shouldn't but I do kind of hope he pops backup again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure you've read this, but some of your reader may not have. Here's a link to Bendis' blog on MySpace with what he had to say about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a strange little man.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe this to be a very clever hoax.

    "Secret Invasion"
    "Skrulls"

    Marvel Boy targets the writer involved... it's all too reminiscent of the recent viral "Kick Ass" videos and the Sentry Wizard article from a few years back...

    I think they told one of the interns to start the blog and I think the whole thing is hamfisted but very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I missed this too, but I can't help but feel that the dude's got a point about the amount of negativity on the blogosphere. The other day I read a post by one of the guys over at 4thletter, where it . . . get ready . . . praised Joe Quesada. It blew my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I doubt it is a Marvel-sanctioned stunt. There are just parts of Marvel Boy's blog that seem to genuinely reflect the ups and downs of someone's psyche...for instance, the part about snark that I quoted. In contrast to Marvel Boy's other, cockier posts, this was quickly posted with spelling errors and missed capitalization. It was a rambling sequence that indicated the ambivalence he had for his own blog and actions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know, it's funny. Marvel tends to hire interns from my alma mater, especially a certain program which takes itself way too seriously, so I could believe that one of these self-important too-good-for-his-job people could pull something like this off. I've known too many of them.

    This doesn't prove anything any way or the other, but it's interesting how that small bit of perspective can contribute a lack of skepticism on this part.

    ReplyDelete