Pages

Monday, October 13, 2008

Valerie Is Not Paying Attention In Class


Recently I ran across a stack of old notes from high school & my first year of college. They were completely covered in doodles -- far more doodles than notes. On some pages, I would forgo notes completely and just draw.

One of my favorite methods of passing the time back then was to draw random squiggles, then figure out how to turn them into figures of people & animals & stuff.

Also, note the use of Watchmen's Rorschach in one of the pages.

In the last page, I decided to combine the doodles with my school-work and hand in a comic strip as an English assignment.

And, just in case you're wondering -- no, I did not exactly live up to my potential in high-school. Though I was an honors student in college. I honestly don't remember a lot about high-school, except that it provided me a lot of time to draw.




7 comments:

  1. Good stuff. I get a kind of Fred Hembeck feel from it. (And that is a compliment.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, these are great. this is pretty much what i did in school, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:47 AM

    Ugh...I *hated* Core Geo. I guarantee if I dig out old notebooks from college, all four core science classes will be nothing but doodles (art and music, too).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the crazy-haired doodle girl on the third page you posted.
    I also love the random doodles that turn into actual pictures, like the fish head girl or the lady with the umbrella. I did this crazy scratchy anger-doodle in my bath book once. When I got home and I looked at it again, it looked like a chicken with a helmet, carrying an uzi.

    Doodles iz crazy.

    And so is school, apparently :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is that the 7-Up mascot Fido Dido on the fourth page? I used to doodle him back in school as well. Had to look up the name though -- I thought his name was "Cool Spot", but that was the mascot that replaced the character.

    Have a good day.
    G Morrow

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha yeah, that was me in high school. My margins were totally filled with anatomy studies, strips and other little nonsense. College not so much, but I did some. Although when I wasn't doodling in class I was most likely catching up on my sleep...and somehow managing to pull off being an honor's student. Go figger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. During college, I wised up and bought scientific notebooks for all my classes. Right side of page is lined for note taking, left side is graph paper for doodling. That's the only reason I kept them. Even now, I buy the composition notebooks with graph paper.

    Heck... some of my doodles became so involved, I actually took time from studying to transfer them to MacPaint (for perfect geometries). This was back in the early 90s, before the Internet had pictures, and Macs still had floppy drives.

    ReplyDelete