Pages

Monday, October 27, 2008

Crisis Vs. Final Crisis


I really didn't feel inclined to make my promised review of Final Crisis #4...but as I have been asked by a few people for it, and I did pay for the bloody thing, I might as well.

I guess in order for me to speak of FC #4 I need to back up and talk about my reaction to the original Crisis On Infinite Earths. I read all the back-issues of that mini-series, out-of-order, in the early 1990s. Back then, my knowledge of obscure DC lore was not huge. I was (or had been) mostly a Batman fan. So obviously reading Crisis On Infinite Earths opened up a whole new world for me.

Though I did not know who more than half the characters in Crisis were, when they (or entire worlds) occasionally died it still had an impact for me. Ditto for the drama and the plot in general.

If you had to ask me what Crisis On Infinite Earths was about, I would have said (and still would say) "how people react to a disaster." I realize this is a rather reductionist point-of-view on the series, and does not take into account the Monitors, Anti-Monitors, and numerous parallel worlds. But Crisis appealed to me on a basic human level, in basic human terms I could understand. And I have no doubt this ability of Marv Wolfman & George Perez to get that point across is what was largely responsible for the huge success of the mini-series.

When Comic Book Deaths Still Mattered?

In contrast, if you were to ask me what Final Crisis is about, I would tell you "some neat stuff Grant Morrison thought up regarding continuity and postmodern remixes thereof." That's just for starters. I'm sure if you asked Morrison himself, or a FC fan, the same question you would get more specifics. And that, I think, is the problem.

While there is nothing wrong with creating a book with a very complex plot structure and background that appeals mostly to hardcore fans, I question why it should be the keystone of a year-long (or even three or four years-long) publishing plan. Would not an event with more of an appeal to both the pre-established fanbase and the new reader make more sense?

After I read Crisis On Infinite Earths, I went back and read other related books to "catch-up." I did not do this because I felt I had to in order to understand Crisis. I did it because I wanted to. I looked up old issues of All-Star Squadron because I wanted to (certainly not because they were what all the cool kids were reading). Had there been an extensive backlist from DC at that time, I probably would have bought a number of their titles.

This series was about as continuity-geeky as it got -- but I liked it.

Crisis On Infinite Earths worked for me because it took a casual reader at best and made her more interested in the DC Universe. It worked because it touched me on a very basic human level. It worked because of the great synergy between the talent, the two seamlessly forming one unit. It worked because it was consistent on many levels, not least of which was the fact that Wolfman/Perez were on every issue. And it worked because even though there was a lot I didn't understand (it took me several passes before I could wrap my brain around the concept of Earth 2), it didn't impede my enjoyment of the story -- even reading the book out-of-order.

Final Crisis, for me, fails on several of these levels. As a person who only read #1 and part of #2 (and couldn't even understand that), issue 4 is completely incomprehensible. But even without having much background knowledge, the book could not even engage me on a basic human level. The most it could do so was by two scenes: two Flashes hugging each other and Black Canary saying goodbye to Green Arrow. And yet in those scenes, I still had only the vaguest notion of why those actions were occurring; by contrast, the deaths in Crisis were very clear, "OMG the world is ending I'm dying it hurts!"

But as I have written concerning review copies I have received of comics based on particular video games, it might be pointless for me to give a review of Final Crisis #4 because in the end it might not be a comic written for me. I don't have the long investment in the events before it. The failure of Countdown and the disjointed relation of Death of the New Gods to FC has not provided me with an easy introduction to the series. While I have loved Grant Morrison's Vertigo stuff, I've never been a huge fan of his JLA work, or of his treatment of other DCU characters outside of Animal Man. And, as with most events, I am willing to pick up only a limited amount of crossovers and spin-offs ("willing" as in, not really willing; "limited amount" as in, I can't really afford).

If the "Darkseidy" scene in FC #4 was a rip-off of Episode III,
and Darth Vader was a rip off of Darkseid,

does that mean we have come full circle?


But I think if you have the heavy investment, and you are enthusiastic about Grant, and feel keyed-in to this continuing story the way other people are keyed-in the Lord of the Rings, then I think -- current issues concerning the art notwithstanding -- there is no reason why you wouldn't like Final Crisis. I mean, it's certainly better than Countdown, and fill-in artists Pacheco & Mahnke are both very good. I understand the reader unhappiness about the fill-ins, but it's not like they put Joe Schmoe on the book (no offense to Joe).

If you are a new reader, however, I don't see this series making much sense for you. You might want, instead, to pick up a trade collection of Crisis On Infinite Earths and then work yourself backward & forward. Then, perhaps picking up some momentum, these latter-day DC events might make you more impassioned.

25 comments:

  1. Is it intentional that the two Omegas on the cover of FC4 spell "DC"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm no new reader, so I really can't speak to that. But couldn't Final Crisis be reduced to "fighting back after the whole world goes wrong?" Maybe it's taken to long to get to that point (in terms of actual time it certainly has; in terms of storytelling, it's too early to say until we see the whole thing), but that's what it seems to be solidifying into.

    And to be honest, that's the kernel of the story I've been dying to read for these past eight years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should add: that theme of Final Crisis is probably a few years too late -- it would have resonated far more strongly when anyone saying a bad word about the war or President Bush were boycotted and were getting death threats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I first borrowed Crisis on Infinite Earths from my Uncle because I was lured in by the Alex Ross cover art of the trade collection, expecting something similar with the artwork in terms of Kingdom Come (the majority of my experience with comics at the time was Devin Grayson's Titans and the occasional trade I'd read in a book store). While I was disappointed at first with the storytelling style and the artwork being so different than what I expected, the story drew me in. I stayed up until 4 AM, completely immersed in a universe I had never really dared to explore. Sure, I had some experience with a larger DCU thanks to Titans/JLA: Technis Imperative, but there were once again heroes and characters who I either had never heard of before or were suddenly interesting to me (the Question in particular grabbed me - who was this faceless man?!). As a newcomer to comics, it was astounding by the time it was over, and as I got more into comics, the occasional references to events in COIE just made my eyes go wide and when Infinite Crisis was announced as a direct sequel to it, I was leaping for joy. It made Infinite Crisis a great experience and put me right back into the mindset of that little kid who first read COIE.

    I admit, after repeat readings I've enjoyed Final Crisis a bit more and I've found #4 to be the most comprehensible and straightforward (it doesn't feel like I turned over two pages at once, like the first three issues did) and I found Dan Turpin's transformation into Darkseid to be positively chilling.

    But it's not for newbies. And frankly the more I learn about postmodernism the more I want less of it. I'm hoping this ends with a bang, but so far it hasn't felt nearly as Crisis-like as COIE or IC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am fully up to speed with Final Crisis and feel your comments are fair - the book relies heavily on the investment of the reader to understand it, and isn't going to appeal to the growing number of non-superhero fans now getting into reading comics through trade sales, manga digests, movies and cartoons.
    I know everything that went on in FC4 and understood why it was happening, but that's not to say it didn't feel like it was incomprehensible to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're crazy. Crisis on Infinite Earths has a good three pages at the beginning with Alexander Luthor Last Son of Earth-3. After that it devolves into the kind of masturbatory mess you would expect of a series based on characters conceived when the author was 14.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One question, Val.

    Do you think the OBVIOUS problems Final Crisis has is a DC Comics problem, or a Grant Morrison problem?

    I ask you because you tend to be able to separate your personal positions towards the company from your opinions on your reviews.

    Me on the other hand, can only remember the looooong naps I used to take on Morrisson's NEW X MEN.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny, because I know plenty of people who hated Countdown, but love Final Crisis. Actually, it seems to me, reading reactions, that the more people divorce it from the notion of what an event comic is supposed to be, the more they enjoy it. But diff'rent strokes, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:28 PM

    I can totally relate to your comments on the 85/86 CRISIS series. While I was indeed already versed in Earth-1/Earth-2 (through the awesome JLA/JSA team-ups) at the time, seeing every character ever dealing with one threat was a thrill. I loved getting a sense of an even larger universe (including, for example, the newly purchased CHARLTON heroes) and digging through back issue bins to find out what these characters were all about. Kingdom Come and other big event books always focus on the "generals, not the footsoldiers" but CRISIS made sure that everyone got at least one line -- even John Constantine. Pretty cool. The writing was a bit rough ("What's that, Aquaman?" "It's a fish, Blue Beetle!") but I still like the ups and downs of the plot and heroes going up against something they have very little hope of defeating without serious sacrifice. Man, the death of the Flash was superbly done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fatal flaw of DC has always been they assume everyone everywhere knows all about ALL their characters. Before One Year Later pulled me into the books, I was strictly a Batman fan and all my knowledge came from every other medium BUT the books. Enter new characters into books with little fanfare, and I'm like wha-huh?! The same goes for their events.

    I dunno who Final Crisis is written for, but it's NOT new reader friendly. Hell, I've got experience beyond my years in comics and even *I* don't get it.

    I'd like to check out the original Crisis, and am already well on my way with 2 issues of the mini in my possession (I love 50 cent bins!). That event, at least, served a purpose other than hiding the fact these big companies are so drained of ideas they need to cover that up with mondo crossovers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. grant morrison is a brilliant ideas man..staggering some of the things he thinks up..but in terms of characterisation i nearly find his stuff very cold...some of his plots make no sense...i remember reading his seven soldiers stuff and by the last two issues i was totally lost as to what was going on.......
    i read the original crisis when it came out..im a child of the sixties and what first drew me to dc was the earth 1 and 2 concept...dont ask me why as a ten year old i found it fasinating....
    i really enjoy crisis at the time even though the reduction of the dc universe came as a shock....and thet totally fluffed it all afterwards.......

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with much of your criticism of Final Crisis. I'm sticking with it in hopes that it will become the universe-changing event it's been touted as. (Although, I'm a little afraid as to the direction that change might take the DCU.)

    Crisis on Infinite Earths was indeed awesome. The best Big Event series ever. The after-math was difficult for me because I was a big fan of the mulitiverse, and hated to see it go.

    The deaths of Supergirl and Barry Allen were effective and affecting. The only misstep they really made after the Crisis was in the reboot of Superman, they got rid of his history as Superboy. That killed my favorite supergroup, the Legion of Superheroes. They just don't work well without that history with Superboy.

    I really don't understand the purpose of Final Crisis in the DCU. They brought the multiverse back in the suprisingly good 52. Are they going to destroy it again so soon? That would make no sense. Is FC just an excuse to reboot the New Gods? Could have done that with something less depressing?

    ReplyDelete
  13. As with most story arcs, I will wait for it to finish, and then either read the trades, or, more likely, read the Wikipedia summary.
    52 worked well in that it took some minor characters, placed them in some interesting situations, allowed them to grow and change, and even included some cool plot twists.
    DC earns brownie points for keeping this to a seven-issue series, but lost that goodwill with tardiness.
    Will things get better after FC ends? Will the 52verse become simpler, more reader friendly? Or is it a giant adobe ziggurat that is slowly melting away every time it rains?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Final Crisis is about what happens when Evil wins. Some heroes give up. Some villains step up.

    I keep equating "Evil" with "Stupid" and read it as a metaphor for the last eight years in America, but I know that's just me...

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's why I've been digging Wildstorm's World's End

    ReplyDelete
  16. now that you work for Marvel, are you forbidden to write about them?

    or are you just THAT DC obsessed?

    ReplyDelete
  17. "or are you just THAT DC obsessed?"

    you're the one who seems DC obsessed, wek -- obsessed about censoring other people's blogs.

    but you don't want to be responsible for bringing up all that stuff *again* on my blog like you did last time, do you?

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is probably as good a place as any for me to declare that old issues of All-Star Squadron as good a way as any to invest your back issue bin dollars. I bought dozens of the things for about 15 cents each a few years back and they are fantastic. Great period stories. All the characters in their classic costumes and some lovely art. Why do people even buy new comics?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous12:53 PM

    I've been in a comic book "coma" for the past 11 years until I attended this years Wizard World Chicago... So mostly I've been reading stuff from smaller press... Final Crisis is a perfect example of how I feel with both Marvel and DC.

    There was a time in my life, when I considered the DC/Marvel universes as a place where my heart and mind had a "home".

    So much time and story has passed that it feels as though I could "Never go home again".

    ... and the way Invasion/Final Crisis has been handled...

    Only re-enforces that feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  20. "...and Darth Vader was a rip off of Darkseid,..."

    There's never been any substantive indication of this, Howling Curmudgeons notwithstanding. I'm putting this on "not so much".

    As to the actual topic, I'm going w/ Crisis being way more accessible to readers. I did read it month-to-month as it was published, and you always knew WHERE you were in the story even if you didn't recognize all the players/locales (alternate heroes, multiple Earths, etc).

    I do think FC, if/when collected along w/ relevant tie-ins in reading order (a la Seven Soldiers) will make a pretty good read. But all of GM's high-concept stuff in this one does not lend itself well to the episodic format, ESPECIALLY with the delays.

    ReplyDelete
  21. As I've said before, Final Crisis is incomprehensible dreck (built on my least favorite of the Seven Soldier series) -- the minis are actually far better than the main series (particularly Legion of 3 Worlds), so it's a shame you're not reading them.

    I totally agree that while I loved Morrison's Doom Patrol and Animal Man, his mainstream DC work has been so-so at best -- Batman R.I.P. is another confused mess, and most of Morrison's Batman run has paled besides Dini's run.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It really doesn't matter who the writer or artists are...if they can't grab me and make me care about the story (like 'CRISIS' did right fromt he start) then you can't expect me to come around later after I have read the entire collected work (what...a hundred comics worth of Morrison)...you should make me want to read the spin offs and tie in not resent that I have to read them just to be up to speed. For a long time fanboy there needs to be more geek moments in such 'events'. To alienate both new and old is a failure in my books and I even doubt when the download of the whole 'saga' comes that it will ever move to the top of my read pile. I certainly will never buy either the floppies or the trades...is that event fatigue or just poor storytelling. I suspect it the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You know... I would agree with this on the first three issues... where I often felt like I missed something despite reading a large amount of DC books... however, this issue was the FIRST one so far that I didn't feel lost at all... and it felt like a continous sotry instead of a disjointed, fragmented, hard to follow book like the first 3 issues read.

    I wanted to like the first three issues of FInal Crisis, but couldn't really follow them enough to do so, but issue #4 was very good and I'm hopeful this is how the issues are going to be like from this point on.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think one of the problems is that DC is trying to do way too much with their crossovers. Way too many seemingly unconnected storylines are forced to converge. Geoff Johns probably got a nosebleed trying to tie in OMACs, villains, Rann/Thanagar, et al. into Infinite Crisis.

    ReplyDelete
  25. "Investment" is the key word there. I also found #4 incomprehensible until I read Final Crisis: Submit. You actually had to read that book to understand one of the key plots of the series. Why do I have to buy a separate one-shot to understand a limited series? If it weren't for torrenting, I would have given up reading DC Comics around Countdown #8.

    ReplyDelete