Pages

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Monster Mash


Monster-Size Hulk is a tribute to the "giant"-sized Marvel monster comic book of the 1970s (who can forget "Giant-Sized Man-Thing"?), complete with multiple stories and even an all-text Dracula tale penned by Peter David. Of course, the Giant-Sized editions of the 1970s were around 50 cents...but in this day and age $3.99 for double-sized issue of original material (albeit some which are...gasp...only words) is not bad.

The main story features the Hulk vs. Frankenstein slugfest we have all been waiting for (have those two ever fought before?). This is no flat-topped generic Frankenstein's monster but the one with the funky mohair vest and hippie hair from the short-lived Marvel monster comic. Of course, though the two monsters duke it out, they eventually realize they have more in common than differences. The end of the story seems to set up Frankenstein's Monster for further adventures in the Marvel universe; consult the comic itself for details. Perhaps he can join the Avengers.

The other stories feature a Hulk/Werewolf By Night tale done in the moody black & whites of the old Marvel magazines, a cute two-page gag featuring Googam, and the aforementioned Peter David text piece. The part in the Werewolf By Night story where Bruce Banner suspects Jack Russell's possession of a human-sized cage to be some sort of "illegal and weird" pastime takes us out of the nostalgia-era mindset a little bit, but for the most part these stories are pretty timeless.


Superman & Batman Vs. Vampires & Werewolves has a rather utilitarian title that will no doubt keep in in backlist for some time to come. The story is about...Superman & Batman Vs. vampires & werewolves.

The moody illustrations of Tom Mandrake channel Gene Colan as ordinary mortals morph into dark creatures and Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman gape at the horror of it all. The first issue seems very much a throwback to an earlier time -- perhaps hearkening a bit to the monster comics of the Seventies, but also to the DC comics in general of that time period. I kept hallucinating and thinking the artist was Jim Aparo.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:40 PM

    Dear DC;

    Please consider my script for "Adam Strange & Metamorpho Vs. Mummies & Creatures From The Black Lagoons". I think it will be a big hit.

    XOXO- Patrick Dean

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hulk book was good, I enjoyed it. Although, Frankie boy has been kicking around the ol' MU for a few years now. Guess this is a re-re-introduction?

    I passed on Bats and Supes, though. The concept didn't intrigue me although I heard it was good. When it hits discount bins I'll grab it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Werewolf/Vampire/ vs. Superman/Batman looks really fun. I'm definitely gonna back-issue.

    The Hulk thing is a maybe for me. I am getting The Hulk series (And Skaar for that matter) but I'm not too sure. It'll most likely be a spontaneous buy at my LCS if I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was there ever a holiday better suited for comics than Halloween?

    Now if someone would only do a Paul Lynde Halloween Comic Book...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kept hallucinating and thinking the artist was Jim Aparo.

    That's excellent. I wish every comic could make me think the artist was Jim Aparo. :-)

    ReplyDelete