Pages

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Sex Train


For those who aren't familiar with the New York City subway system, often the inside of the train cars will be covered all with the same advertisement; it's almost like "themed" trains.

On one side of my train today were ads for Remy Martin cognac that featured the tagline "Things are getting interesting" and took place in an exclusive club with one of those peepholes in the door. In one ad, a guy with girl on his arm whispers something to another girl. Both girls look happy, and excited. I thought, "threesome." In another ad, one woman has a thick chain around a another woman's neck and is pulling it with her teeth. Message of both ads: "crazy shit will start happening if you drink a lot, and it will be awesome."

On the other side of the train were ads by Wrigley's Gum featuring a bunch of fresh-faced hippie couples rolling around in the grass. There are a bunch of puns about computers, and the idea that after a long hard day in the office is over, you want to find a mate & have intercourse.

Of the two, I'm having a harder time buying that chewing gum will lead to hot passionate times.



11 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:30 PM

    The google searches that lead people to this post should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like my life!

    OH SNAP...?

    (good morning!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was that guy in the mailroom in the gum commercial Brent Spiner, also known as Star Trek's Data?

    ReplyDelete
  4. But if you chew the gum, you have a better chance of remembering them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:30 AM

    The worst themed train I ever got on was the wolfpack train. The car I stepped onto was occupied solely by like 20 rowdy teenagers who were definitely not on their way to volunteer at the old folks home.
    I didn't even pretend to be casual about it. I stepped on, looked around, and stepped the hell off.
    Then I shook my cane in frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes, I think I've been on that particular train. Makes for some interesting food for thought and blog posts, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't remember -- is NYC the modern-day Sodom, or Gamorrah? I never could get that straight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is the photo at the top of this entry from Second Life? And if so, do you remember where?

    Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sex train? Were you on the F Train or the B&D line?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah... I remember the "Homer Simpson Express" of a few years ago. One side was Dunkin Donuts, the other side was Budweiser Beer.

    The best ad? A public-service advertisement for safe sex, using the island of Manhattan as a penis. (That makes the South Bronx...?)

    I'm waiting for the MTA to screw up, like placing a series of domestic abuse ads across from a series of ads for liquor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha, I just rode in that car last night!

    ReplyDelete