Pages

Monday, November 24, 2008

Val Gets Rid Of Even More Comics


















Why did one of these get the boot and the other not?

"Gets rid of" is actually a strong word. More like finding new home for them in one of several different ways.

As I've written before, I do this automatically every couple of months to avoid becoming a packrat -- because I have a packrat tendency.

What's interesting is what gets cut and what remains...

Both Strangers in Paradise and Meatcake have been in my collection for a long time -- why did I finally cut SIP out of the collection but kept Meatcake?

First of all, it's no dig at SIP. But that series seemed to be more relevant to me during a certain period of my life -- while Meatcake's gothic weirdness seems to transcend time for me.

Again, I chucked the Love & Rockets -- but that's partially because Fantagraphics have these awesome new collected editions for it. Ditto for Strangers in Paradise -- if I wanted to get those issues back, I could buy the trade paperbacks.
















singles vs. trades: it's been so long since this issue
of "Love and Rockets" came out, it would seem that
Fantagraphics would benefit more if you just
bought the current collections.


Buying the trade is often a rationale for getting rid of individual issues. Both Mark Millar's Fantastic Four and the new Omega The Unknown limited series got tossed -- because I only had a few issues of each, and would rather just have the trades. Same for the new Lone Ranger.

Then there are 25 cent bin comics that I have a maniacal attachment to. Take Marvel's Robotix, written and drawn by Herb Trimpe. Why in the hell am I holding on this book?


Because it's damn special, that's why. Strangers in Paradise might get reprinted in a dozen different formats, but who will reprint Robotix? Hm?

My point.

14 comments:

  1. Well, it's obvious why you're keeping ROBOTIX... it's a "Spectacular Action-Packed 1st Issue"! What more reason would you need? lol

    I need to weed out my comics too. After 30 years of this I have over 120 long boxes of things I will probably never read again. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROBOTIX! Oh man! I loved those! You have to keep that comic for ever and ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who puts the future in your hands?
    Who gives you robots to command?

    I'm a serious packrat. I can't seem to part with them. Yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had that Robotix comic too and if I still have it (probably do) then I'll keep it because it's by Herb freaking Trimpe.

    I was actually in the basement last night looking for stuff to put on ebay. The kids need Christmas more than I need 20 long boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It'll probably take my getting married to a woman I love very much and yet still nags me to death to get rid of my comics for me to do it. However, since my prospects are nill my collection remains safe! But I applaud your ability to overcome the packrat tendencies. Me, I'm a packrat in the WORST of ways. I blame my parents.

    25 cent bins are probably the greatest invention next to 50 cent bins. At the Nationals, the one guy there with dozens of 25 cent bins had such great books in there. I was able to get most of Birds of Prey and Catwoman for practically nothing.

    And while trades are great space savers, I just can't get into them as a substitute. I mean, I pick up the occasional here and there for impossible to get issues and general research for stories, and will probably get them for minis I was curious about but didn't wanna pay $4-6 an issue to check out, but I could never go over to them completely. I love the thrill of the hunt for a single issue needed. I love the portability of the floppies. I love watching my "to read" pile slowly melt and dwindle away to nothing. In short; I'm an old dog and I'll need serious whacking with the newspaper to get new tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah... but they don't reprint the stuff inside the comicbooks... like the Hostess ads. Or the Bullpen Bulletins. Or the want ads selling Amazing Spider-Man for $150. Or the cool editorials from Dick Giordano. Or the great letter columns in Preacher and Sandman. Or the reference material in Legion.

    I keep all my comics. The great ones get repurchased as trades. You want to get rid of yours, let me know. I'll give them a good home. Or, if you've got a long run of something, bundle it up and place it on eBay. Just be sure to calculate shipping correctly. Paper is heavy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Val, when you're cleaning them out and you find anything really, REALLY bad - contact me and I'll be happy to take them off your hands. I'm always looking for new material for my recaps. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. What do you do to give comics a new home? Curious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I was actually in the basement last night looking for stuff to put on ebay. The kids need Christmas more than I need 20 long boxes."

    Any collector worth their salt can squeeze out an entire Christmas by selling a portion of their collection on eBay.

    It adds up.

    You know, unless you buy comics like Robotix and "The Partridge Family" like I do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "What do you do to give comics a new home? Curious."

    I used to have piles and piles and piles and piles of comps from both Valiant/Acclaim & DC. A portion of that went directly into recycling. Sounds harsh, but you have to picture piles and piles and piles of floppies.

    To be fair, I put them in see-through recycling bags. Some people would just carry off the bags, some would just tear through them and cherry-pick.

    you know a comic book is bad when they don't even want it for free.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't say I've ever read Robotix. I was more of an oblivious-to-was-is-good-because-of-my-youth-at-the-time-perspective with MICRONAUTS! YES! Heh.

    OH! And, I so wanna get Love and Rockets in trade. Haven't read it, but it seems to have a modest Charle Burn's Blackhole vibe to it. Could be the art. Seems to have the same oddbally-ness to it too though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I ever own a comics company I will have counter-intuitive (but just as splashy) cover boxes that say things like:

    IT WILL GET BETTER FROM HERE!

    MUCH LIKE ANY OTHER!!

    WE'RE PRETTY SURE YOU'LL LIKE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Our Guarantee: Not As Lousy As Last Issue or (some of) Your Money Back (eventually if you find another sucker)!"

    "Stays Crunchy in Milk!"

    "Adequate 1st Issue!"

    "Moderate Thrills and Suspense For Those With Mild Personalities."

    "This Comic Contains 22 Pages of Rectangular Frames and Within Those, Drawings and a Moderate Amount of Copy!"

    "Now... On Paper!"

    "Vivacious!"

    "Mathematically Precise First Issue!"

    "Keep Your Expectations Low and You Just Might Enjoy This Comic!"

    "Some Pig!"

    ReplyDelete
  14. @JoelBryn: "Now... On Paper!"

    Sweet.

    ReplyDelete