Pages

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

"The Comic Book Geek" Now Power Broker

"Power Geek" Archetype:
Kevin Smith in "Live Free or Die Hard"

Details Magazine has just released their "Power 40" list, and "The Comic Book Geek" comes in at #13:

"Only one person can make or break a potential blockbuster before it hits theaters, and he doesn't work in Hollywood or control a penny of the multi-million-dollar budget. He lives in his parents' basement and sometimes wears a cape—but the much-mocked comic-book geek possesses the ass studio execs must kiss to hit superhero-movie gold."

I whole-heartedly agree, except for the "living in parents' basement" part. I haven't lived in my mom's basement for a good three years now. :-D

What do you think? Are "comic book geeks" the new power brokers?

I think geeks in general have been power brokers for some time now. Case in point: Bill Gates.

(you can read more about the Details "Power 40" in their December issue, on stands Dec. 2)

6 comments:

  1. Cases like B. Gates and President-elect Obama aside -- hey, he's a Spidey fan, that counts -- I don't think geeks will have "power" until the "living in parents' basements" smack stops being brought up to describe them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:43 PM

    I wouldn't say that we're "power brokers", nor that we should be #13 (perhaps #18 or 20?), but I do agree that we have more power than we did 20 years ago.

    That is, if you exclude the +12 power enhancement our Rings of Klavoridian gave us on our last roll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not really. My whiny comic store owner bitched about Dark Knight and that didn't stop it from making circa $1 Billion dollars.

    I think comic geeks like to think they can break a movie but it just doesn't work like that.

    I love comics/games and can get nit picky about them, but I will still see a comics film so long as it doesn't look like total shit.

    Hell, I even saw Max Payne in the theaters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are legion, hear us roar!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would say no...except in certain cases? (ie, only in comics?)

    Hm...I wonder how much of the blame can go to Cass Cain fans for the Batgirl miniseries selling horribly this year?

    (Since all of them on every online comic book forum I've been to swore to not buy it and encouraged everyone else to avoid buying it since it still featured a not so pure Cass Cain and everyone feared the changes would stay if the book sold well...

    It didn't, btw.)

    Then again, it was a terrible miniseries...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I doubt the comic book geek is much of a real power broker but our basement lairs might provide a little extra longevity in the event of a zombie holocaust.

    ReplyDelete