Pages

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Robin Riggs Draws IDW's "Sir Apropos Of Nothing"


It was my good fortune to catch up with artist Robin Riggs at the Big Apple Comic Con this past weekend and look at the original art for his new comic from IDW, Sir Apropos Of Nothing.


I've always known Robin as a highly-skilled inker, but only recently discovered that he is an excellent penciller as well. It just goes to show: I think the best inkers are the ones who bring an unique and vibrant style of their own to the pencils they work over, and this is because they are talented illustrators in their own right.


(Now, I understand that some pencillers get a little annoyed when certain inkers "overwhelm" their work with their own style. And some pencillers actually welcome it as the combination can be quite successful. I've never seen Robin's work "take over" the pencils he's working over. But they have always been a tremendous asset, adding depth and refinement.)


Anyway, it's good to see Robin get a chance to pencil as well as ink Sir Apropos Of Nothing (oh, and we should mention that it's written by Mr. Peter David! based on his successful novels featuring the character!). He is a classic illustrator in the mold of David Lloyd and Tim Truman. In some respects, Sir Apropos seems like a love letter to the very best comics from the 80s produced by DC and indie companies like First. This influence extends all the way to the palette used, pastels and a watercolory feel.


It is my hope that unique and well-produced projects like this are supported by the public. IDW produces comics in a variety of genres that, while perhaps not a replacement for DC and Marvel's offerings, are most certainly a very welcome and necessary supplement.

If you feel "left behind" by some of the new comics out there, and want to be introduced to some new worlds and "mythologies," I suggest you give some of IDW's books, like Sir Apropos of Nothing, FX, and Locke & Key, a try.

9 comments:

  1. I would also recommend IDW's Fallen Angel, also written by Peter David as a good read.

    And I loved Riggs work on the bulk of the Leonard Kirk Supergirl issues (also written by PAD).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why does that look so much like The Dark Tower?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, it definitely has the First Comics aesthetic going there. For some reason I thought of Nexus at first glance.

    Cool stuff!

    And I also always heard the best inkers were the ones with real drawing skills of their own. But then, I don't know of any inkers who don't have drawing/pencilling skills as well... at least none of the ones whose work I like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also worth a look-see is David's Fallen Angel, drawn gorgeously by J.K. Woodward. IDW's been pretty good about trading this one since they picked it up after DC let the rights lapse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a big fan of his pencils, but Robin Riggs is one of my favorite inkers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Issue 1 was really good, I'll be sticking with it for a while. As for IDW, I buy a lot of their titles, they've got some really good stuff. Locke & Key especially.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big fan of Peter David, so I'll definitely be picking this one up. I'm actually more excited about Fallen Angel and his novels-turned-comics than about his superhero stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why does that look so much like The Dark Tower?

    The first issue is actually a parody of the Dark Tower. Peter David does have Stephen King's approval.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the review, Val! I'd feel remiss if I didn't mention that Robin also does the colors (or, as he says, "colours") on the book.

    I have no idea why IDW left off Peter's and Robin's names from the cover of #1. Maybe it was to maintain the parody-of-Dark-Tower motif? (When Peter was signing copies of Dark Tower at last weekend's con, he actually got them confused with the Sir Apropos cover a couple of times, so we know the parody works!)

    Frank, Robin would thank you but he's hard at work at the moment. Pencilling, inking and colouring a book in the space of a month is certainly time-consuming! His work on this 5-issue miniseries ends next month; it'll be nice to have my husband back again for awhile until the next project. :)

    ReplyDelete