Pages

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Giant Thanksgiving Balloons


Those giant balloons in the Macy's Thanksgiving parade used to both fascinate and scare me. I used to have nightmares where I'd look out my window and a huge balloon face (perhaps Kermit) was looking in on me.

As of late, I've noticed that a lot of balloons that haven't necessarily "earned" a spot in the parade are being used -- you know, relatively new characters that are basically "debuted" at the parade to advertise something. I think the "Ask Jeeves" balloon was the one that started me questioning the balloon selection process.

Still, am hoping one day that an Occasional Superheroine balloon makes its way through Midtown. :-D



5 comments:

  1. Nightmares with giant balloons, eh?
    Yeah, Tim Burton's Batman had the Joker put poison gas in 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:41 PM

    Is Charlie Brown supposed to look like a giant monster threatening New York?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ask Jeeves...does anyone use that anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Metronome, didn't Mxyzptlyk once animate some parade balloons to terrorize Metropolis?

    Hey... where's Superman? One of the first, from 1939! It even escaped, twice, from his handlers! Once before the Thanksgiving parade when it was being tested in New Jersey, and once near San Diego!

    99 Luftballoons/Auf ihrem Weg zum Horizont...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:34 PM

    Those floats are so ungodly huge.

    ReplyDelete