Pages

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

All The Facebook Ads I've Received In 24 Hours


I found this while doing research for a client. It's a page filled with all the targeted ads my Facebook page has received during a 24-hour period:

1. How Many Triangles?
brain teaser type thing, that's pretty ok

2. Bridgeport Ct Lofts 185k
way over-estimating my income, but ok

3. The Subway On Your iPhone
okay, they've picked up on my geographical info...fine

4. The Oprah Diet
well...it's just one ad. And it's *Oprah*

5. Never Shave Again
laser hair-removal system

6. Cute Cuts For Half Price
hair salon...for when I'm done with the hair removal

7. Lose Three Dress Sizes

8. Rachel's Flat Belly Diet

9. The Supermodel Diet

10. Dr. Oz's Dieting Tip

11. Don't Fit In At Church?
must be my "Eclectic" tag under "Religion" on my profile

12. Rachel Ray's New Program
2nd Rachel Ray diet ad

13. Win 4 Tickets Now
Hockey tickets

14. Oprah's New Diet
again with Oprah and her diets

15. Rachel Ray's Diet
ahhhhhh!!!!!!!

16. Invisalign, $1000 Off
braces

17. Oprah's Top Choice
Acai berry "superfood" ice-cream

18. New York Foodie?
Why no, I'm too busy hating myself as the result of the last handful of ads

19. Straight Teeth, No Braces
apparently I must have some sort of Matt Groening-esque overbite

20. Click To Sell Old Jewelry
Picture of wedding ring accompanying ad.

21. Moving And Storage
For after I sell that wedding ring

22. Many Egg Donors Available
in case my dusty 34-year-old ova don't quite cut it

23. Weight Loss Diet
oh, kill me now

24. OVAL Vodka Recipies
Oh, God, yes!!!!!

So after analyzing the ads Facebook has placed on my home page based on my profile, I have come up with a general picture of the person Facebook sees me as:

17 comments:

  1. Best punchline all week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny. All my ads are for singles: Find singles in your area, Find Asian singles, Interacial dating and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. who out there really falls for the rachael ray diet?

    a. have you seen her show? (my wife loves it) everything she cooks is full of fat and butter.

    b. have you seen her? she looks like a little sausage, I keep expecting those old navy shirts to blow apart at the seems hulk style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't get on Facebook. But that'll always be spam. You get asked if you want your penis larger, colon healthy, wild & drunk college girls, water-purified, money and many other things that lower your self esteem and security self, inner and outer. I do enjoy the one's that ask you to take a quiz...you take the five minutes to do it, and then it asks for a whole bunch of info to sign up for something without relation to said quiz. Also, don't you love winning cars, PS3s, HD-TVs, and large amounts of money. I win all the time, it's like I'm the luckiest person in the world! Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stupidest piece of junk mail I ever got was from All State... They sent me a nice letter about car insurance... I do have a driver's license, but no car. Wouldn't a check of local records show that?

    As for spam email... it doesn't surprise me anymore. Oh, wait, there was one... from some Marine in Iraq, who wanted my help in getting $10 Million sent here. Surprising because Google didn't show anything about the guy on the email. I sent it on to the Pentagon.

    AOL and Yahoo do a pretty good job of filtering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All mine are for singles and dating services too. And they all say some variation on the same shaming theme "[your age] and still single?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't pay much attention to the ads. Especially since I don't spend much time on there. I spend more time on MySpace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't forget about facebook's thumbs up/thumbs down option on ads-which doesn't work. God knows what kind of info that's meant to collect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My ads are all in Japanese. I don't know what they're selling me but they tell me I live in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And people wonder why I don't have Facebook. XD

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mine are for: singles pages, jobs pages and ... disposeable razors?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You'll never lose betting on a womans insecurity about her body.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All mine are for singles as well. Although, a couple comic book ones come up.

    So, basically, Facebook thinks my entire life is comics and the pursuit to get laid. Well with that sad of a description no wonder I need the singles ads!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Or facebook thinks you're a sorority girl xD

    ReplyDelete
  15. I see mostly 'cool tech' (advanced sunglasses, high-end computers, portable devices, etc.), events and items related to my school, razors (I guess because I'm male), items related specifically to my favorites (a Bing Crosby doll, an ad for Jem's new album, a quiz titled 'Do you know U2?'etc.), high-end clothes (my favorite: 'Dress like Cary Grant'), and job opportunities.

    So . . . TheFaceBook thinks I'm James Marsden at the University of Chicago?

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1) The Cathy image made me laugh out loud for real.

    2) Whenever I log on/out of Myspace there's always tons of ads about gay dating, gay chatting, etc. which all makes sense since I am a gay. But then I started seeing YES ON PROP 8 ads when I was on and it was like "O RLY?!" Myspace was totally trying to get me to hate on myself!

    ReplyDelete