Pages

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

New Disney Line Of Comics


From the press release:

"The Walt Disney Studios has signed a multi-year deal with Ahmet Zappa, Harris Katleman and Christian Beranek to oversee the newly christened Kingdom Comics, an innovative new venture of developing graphic novels to create new film projects for the Studio as well as re-imagining and rejuvenating motion pictures from the Disney live-action Vault"

Some thoughts:
  • I'm happy to see new Disney comic book content
  • Straight to graphic novels, eh? No floppies? <---that's the trend, folks
  • "developing graphic novels to create new film projects for the Studio" sounds a little like the Virgin Comics deal, though the idea of using the comic as R&D for the movies is sort of pervasive at this point
  • "re-imagining and rejuvenating motion pictures from the Disney live-action Vault" -- how 'bout those Kurt Russell flicks, huh? "Computer Wore Tennis Shoes."
oh, and one more:
  • Son of Frank Zappa now working for Walt Disney.

5 comments:

  1. As a former bookseller and a current and lifelong comic fan I think this is good news and long overdue. I don't really care about them launching new properties. I'd be more interested in something like an Aladin comic but hey, I've got more faith in a new property from Disney than most companies. At the very least, I expect the books to look good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Don't dis those Dexter Riley movies! Pick on something evil like High School Musical instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know some people who will be thrilled at new Disney comics coming out. I also know some of those same people won't be able to afford them in GN format at first.

    Very cool to hear, though. Hope they go beyond the live-action and rejuvinate some of my favorite cartoons. I'd love to see the return of Disney's cartoon block staples that dominated my TV viewing from 3-5 weekedays on WPIX (aka the WB aka the CW aka pick a name and stick to it!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would LOVE to see them do a Gold Key retro style Dexter Riley comic, complete with a painted cover and little photos of Kurt Russell and the rest of the cast in circles. Get one of those old school guys to draw it.

    Do adaptations of all of those movies. Throw in that Jan-Michael Vincent "jungle boy plays sports" one, too.

    But they won't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also know some of those same people won't be able to afford them in GN format at first.

    I'm betting that Disney will model their graphic novels on the more affordable manga.

    ReplyDelete