Pages

Thursday, May 29, 2008

New Comic Book Day Thoughts

Okay, I dropped by a local comic shop at lunchtime just to "take the temperature" of new comic day (one day later because of the holiday). Me & the BF have a "new comic book day" shopping ritual so I won't be purchasing until the evening.

Anyway...

Spoilers, people.

Starman Omnibus seems to be sold out in several comic shops in Manhattan, at least.

Johnny Ryan's "Angry Youth Comix" -- lots of sh*tting.

Flipped to the end of "Batman RIP" -- well, it has "one of those endings." You know what I mean. I won't bitch about it until later so as to give it room to breathe.

Flipped to the end of "Final Crisis" #1 -- so here's the difference between a book like FC and Batman RIP. I flip to ending of Batman RIP & it's like "shocking ending!" Dramatic trumpets. Easy to grasp. The end of FC #1, on the other hand, is like "Cavemen Looking Meaningfully In The Distance!" Which means it requires some actual reading to determine if I care. Dammit.

Dave Sim's Judenhass -- pretty powerful stuff. Sort of a history of not just the Holocaust but libel against Jews over the years, quotes from Martin Luther, Marlon Brando. A range. Be interested to see how the book is received by the blognoscenti.

Fred Hembeck Omnibus -- how can you not like something like this?

Marvel 1985 -- I really want this to be good. I'm hoping it's good.

Virgin Comics stuff -- You know, I'm such a big fan of Indian mythology (and mythology in general), I'm not sure why I don't pick these books up more. India Authentic: Lakshmi looks good.

All-Star Superman -- it's disorienting seeing a new issue of this title so soon after the last one. Like it's not even real.

Xena Meets Army Of Darkness -- Sigh. Does Bruce Campbell as Autolycus make an appearance in some bizarre cross-world reincarnation? Why? Why why why??? $. I know. $$$$$$$.

Northlanders -- I'd almost pick this up if it was the start of a new arc.

Skydoll -- I think this came out a week or two ago, but I would still like to pick this up. But $5.99...It almost makes me wish it was squarebound or something

Giant-Size Hulk (or whatever it's called) -- probably

there is probably more ,but I don't remember. Well, on to the other comic shop @ 6:30.

12 comments:

  1. Hey,

    This isn't actually a comment on your post, but I didn't see a "contact me" link and I wanted to let you know that I want to start a blog with a name that sums up my general interests without tying me down to one subject, like "newcomics.com", if I want to post about the Venture Bros. premiere or my cat's trip to the vet. And since there are like 4 unclaimed .com URLs left in the world, I'm looking at groovysuperhero.com. I don't want you to think I'm harshing your mellow or stealing your bit or what have you - I do like your blog and your writing style, but I'm not out to copy or compete with it or anything.

    Anyway, I thought I would run it by you, and if you think I'm infringing on your turf let me know and I'll look for something else.

    Even though, like 10 publishers have a book called "Hercules" out right now.

    It's a respect thing.

    Best,

    Matt

    matt@batcavecollectibles.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd been on the fence about Final Crisis, flipped through it and decided that I don't care. If the reviews are good, I'll pick up the trade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh...Ash vs Autolycus...okay, that crossover I'd buy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that FC is out, can I bitch a little about how screwed up Death of the New Gods is in retrospect, and all Morrison's talk of how we'd see some REAL god action, from some truly new and powerful beings?

    I mean, it's basically looking like the 4th world is back with some slightly new character designs. I was expecting "merged" Gods, dramatic new characters: something other than a simple reboot of these characters.

    Instead, in DotG, Metron has an ending that was a truly worthwhile character beat. And now here he's back on the first place of FC, reborn basically back to status quo.

    Ug.

    I was expecting more from Morrison.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the same thoughts about Sky Doll (which is still sitting in my box waiting for a small enough week that I can budget it) but when you look at it, you get almost two issue's worth of story (at least page count wise). So, in reality, you're paying a penny more than you would two regular books. Now hopefully that small week comes before #2 does...

    As for Xena vs. AoD...I'm sorry to say I actually had this idea months before the series was announced. I thought it'd be a fun, quirky li'l thing to do. So far, it pretty much is. Nothing OUTSTANDING, but still far better than the regular AoD book has been in, well, EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Instead, in DotG, Metron has an ending that was a truly worthwhile character beat. And now here he's back on the first place of FC, reborn basically back to status quo."

    Erm, wasn't that first bit in the past? What indication was there that the Metron talking to the caveman happened after him dying rather than it being something he did a few thousand years ago?

    ReplyDelete
  7. "but when you look at it, you get almost two issue's worth of story"

    Actually, you get exactly that: 44 pages of story, plus some articles/interviews on Marvel working with Soleil and a crapload of previews for other Marvel/Soleil joint publications.

    It's a three-issue mini, so that's 18 bucks in total. I think Sky Doll is cool, because it shows that Marvel's taking steps to advance the industry by teaming up with a French publisher, but I only recommend it if that interests you, because 18 bucks is a lot.

    The dialogue is very innocent and simple, but the themes are actually complex for a comic book, and that's very refreshing to see in a Marvel book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Erm, wasn't that first bit in the past? What indication was there that the Metron talking to the caveman happened after him dying rather than it being something he did a few thousand years ago?"

    I can't say for sure of course, but it was the newly redesigned for FC Metron, as described in the FC sketchbook. Since Metron is a time traveler, new him appearing at any point in history doesn't really conflict with old him dying at a particular point in history.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:41 PM

    I wrote a rave review of Judenhass in the newspaper and on my blog. I thought it was pretty amazing work — a graphic essay, something which Sim excels at.

    ReplyDelete
  10. While the ending to Batman RIP was "one of those" its the middle that really shines.

    What would be awesome would be if all the things Hurt is implying about Wayne were true. we can still deconstruct superheroes in 2008, y'know!

    I have a nagging feeling this all was done in Untold Legend of the Batman which I read back when I was fourteen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, in the next issue thing it mentions the return of the first Batman. If it's Thomas Wayne then it pretty much is Untold Legend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Skydoll contains 44 pages in each serving, the double you get most of te time in DC and Marvel. So if you think it carefully is not such a high price ;)

    ReplyDelete