Pages

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Man In The Spider-Man Suit


If you want to read some fascinating stuff about being a "Spidey Mascot" in the 1980s, be sure to check out the "Heroes In My Closet" blog. Think of it as the memoirs of a "cosplay pioneer," who officially portrayed Spider-Man, Green Goblin, and other Marvel characters in North America and Europe for ten years.

I love these details:

"The Spider-Man suit was brilliantly crafted—comfortable, functional and visually stunning. It worked on anyone from 5'9" to 6'3". It’s ease of transport made it possible to fit in any over-the-shoulder bag as small as a Ziploc. I never had to waste time at the baggage carousel, or worry that the suit might get lost in transit."

"Despite all the great qualities of the Spidey suit—it’s nigh-perfect interpretation of the character; the ease of movement and relative comfort for the wearer; the vibrancy of its colors; the facility in its tranportation, cleaning and upkeep—it did present an odd downside: one-dimensionality, a tromp l’oeil effect that flattened the character, making him appear like a cardboard cutout, i.e. not real. From afar the affect is more pronounced. A child may not “see” me, even though directly looking at me, or sees Spider-Man, but thinks it is just a display."

"McFarlane’s popularity made my appearances more difficult. I was frequently asked, “Why are your eyes so little?” Some of the more confrontational fans challenged with “You’re not Spider-Man. Your eyes are too small.” I’d remain unperturbed and counter with “You must be referring to that McFarlane guy’s wild interpretation of me in the comics,” but the “eye” attacks only increased while my patience decreased."























The last quote comes from a fascinating post that describes how Marvel changed the standard "personal appearances" Spider-Man costume to fit the Todd McFarlane "look." I think a bunch of us remember the old Spidey costume from the TV show "The Electric Company" and other places: the one with the small eyes.

I never ran into Spidey at one of those events, but I did get Wolverine's autograph at Jim Hanley's many many many years ago. I remember analyzing his handwriting carefully: this was, after all, the hero who survived the Weapon X program and so many adventures. How did he dot his "i"?

Anyway, it's a fun blog – never crass or bitter about the subject matter – with a header and original illustrations drawn by the late great Rusty Haller, and is recommended.

6 comments:

  1. You know - I never thought about it, but of COURSE they have neat stories to tell...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how did Wolverine dot his 'i's? Please say that it wasn't with little hearts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this. Great Find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "So how did Wolverine dot his 'i's? Please say that it wasn't with little hearts. :)"

    You know, it actually was this very cursive bubbly circle on top of that i...which troubled me, and was among the first signs that this was not indeed the real article.

    You know, that and the rubber claws.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe this fella wrote my favorite comics anecdote ever as an intro to a Spidey special we did at Wizard. I was thinking about it this week, in fact -- it was all about playing Spidey at a children's cancer ward. I nearly cry every time I think about it.

    ReplyDelete