Pages

Friday, October 23, 2009

October Sad Month For Pop-Culture Fans

While nowhere as prolific as this year's infamous "summer of death," October has been a sad month for pop-culture fans, with several passings that I wanted to take note of but haven't had the chance to until now.

First, kiddie TV host Soupy Sales has just passed. By the time I was a child of TV-viewing age (you know, three months+), his show had been off the air – but I got to know him through his many appearances on talk shows, game shows, etc. The Soupy Sales show was like interpretative jazz for youngsters...I don't know how else to explain it. He never talked down to his viewers, and often seemed to be maintaining a private joke with his crew.

In this clip, an older Soupy explains the importance of "micro-payments":


Second, as I'm sure you are well aware, pro wrestling legend Captain Lou Albano died. It was my privilege to meet Lou at a comic book convention several years ago, and he was an extremely nice guy. Yes, as a child I regarded him as an Italian role-model on national TV. By the time I was old enough to be embarrassed at the portrayal of Italians in the Super Mario Bros game and TV show, the role-model thing had lessened a bit. But I'd take Lou over Bob Hoskins any day of the week. As a recent South Park episode spotlighted, a lot of the best pro wrestling involves more acting than wrestling; Lou could do both, and it's as an excellent and entertaining performer that I will remember him.

And Addams Family composer Vic Mizzy died! I always remember Mizzy's name in the old Addams Family TV show closing credits:

Did those closing credits, where the cast had to stand still through the entire thing, make you nervous? I was a very sensitive kid: it made me nervous, watching the actors twitch and fidget slightly as they tried to stay still.

Joseph "Dr. No" Wiseman also passed on. He played the first Bond movie villain, and the last surviving actor to have played a Bond villain in the Sean Connery era.
Finally, comic book great George Tuska died on Oct. 15th at the age of 93. There's an oft-quoted description of his work from A.V. Club that patronizingly/derisively refers to his art as follows: "Tuska was perfectly competent, and his art for titles like Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk is decent, though unspectacular. But his drawing was so quickly assayed, and so essentially flavorless, that he became the King Of The Fill-In Issue, hopping in to provide bland, forgettable work whenever someone else blew a deadline."


And I really want to say: that opinion is crap! Artists like Tuska not only brought in the work on time, but their renderings and page compositions were of a superior illustrative quality that you just don't see much of anymore. Maybe some would call it "classic," and say that this style just isn't relevant anymore; I hope not. I appreciate the work of people like Tuska a hell of a lot more now than when I was a kid and buying books from "flavor of the month" artists.

As for A.V. Club's assignation to Tuska of the "King Of The Fill-In Issue" title – as a former comic book editor, I THANK GOD for pencillers and inkers who can turn around clean, tight, well-composed comic art quickly for whatever reason. Some of these artists work on such crazy break-neck schedules that it would make your head spin. And I think they are often taken for granted because they seem like they're always there and ready to take the work.

And that's it. Let's hope that the last week of October proves not to be as "busy" as the first three weeks. I want my childhood idols alive, dammit!

7 comments:

  1. Seems like too many comic artists these cannot render even a half-way decent human figure. The old-school artists had a lot of chops and their figures seemed a lot more alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of mine met Albano in his youth, and wrote about it here. It's a really funny and heart warming story, and I've been passing it on to anyone who was a fan of Captain Lou.

    http://johnwiswell.blogspot.com/2009/10/time-i-met-captain-lou-albano.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave Miller-Lad7:21 PM

    I *LOVED* George Tuska! His work was dynamic and fluid. His storytelling was clear and no one ever scratched their head wondering what was going on. I loved his Iron Man, Avengers and Champions work. If Perez missed an Avengers deadline, I was wishing that Tuska swooped in to fill it. The only problem with Tuska is that he always got sub-par inkers to work on him. I think there was a policy at the time to match weak artists with strong artists at Marvel so that there would be an "even-ness" across the line. Ironically, I feel his best inkr was Vinnie Colletta. I think they understood each other. In the 90's he did a short story for Image and I think Scott Williams inked him and it was spectacular. God, I'm glad that there is so much Tuska work out there to collect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be honest, as a kid I didn't care much for George Tuska's artwork. But having been inundated for years by people who I don't think can draw worth a flip (as my dad might've said), I've come to appreciate artists who are "perfectly competent."

    As opposed to those who are perfectly incompetent. I think they're forgetting at the A/V Club that those fill-in artists were guys-- and girls-- editors knew they could rely on to tell the story well on a deadline.

    I can't believe all the late books these days when artists can't even be bothered to draw perspective-- even with all the digital tools available now to do it for them. 22 pages of pin-ups and ass shots shouldn't take three months to draw. Hell, Alfredo Alcala could do you a whole book in a weekend that would look like Gustave Dore etched the damned thing!

    I think Mike Allred said his goal was to emulate those reliable craftsmen of old and their work ethic-- the Don Hecks, the Herbe Trimpes, the George Tuskas. I think, because my mind has a habit of inventing quotes or mishmashing them.

    Anyway, I'll take Allred's opinion over the A/V Club's any day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Velerie. Tuska was a genius, but I think I really prefer Steve Ditko.
    This Blog its great!
    Love from the pampas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soupy Sales practically invented the immortal pie in the face gag -- they don't make em like that anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why oh why do I go back and re-read my comments? And why oh why is there an "e" on the end of Herb Trimpe's first name?

    Answer to both questions... I'm an idiot.

    ReplyDelete