Pages

Monday, October 12, 2009

Ten Cent Comics Orgy

Nothing beats a TEN CENT BIN at Baltimore Comic Con. Formerly a "3-for-a-dollar-bin," the last day of the show the price was substantially knocked down at this particular booth.

Actual quote from my BF as he handed me a 20-dollar bill at the booth: "this does not mean you buy 200 comic books."

I bought about a hundred comics.

Highlights:

* a large run of "Generation X"
* a run of old Avengers written by Roger Stern
* a run of the old New Warriors
* a smattering of 1980s Superman & Batman – remember these? "Done-in-ones?" You know, when it was just an issue of Superman & Superman was actually in the comic and everything?
* a smattering of the old "DC Comics Presents" which was basically "Superman Team-up"
* a near-set of the "Slingers" series from Marvel
* some issues of the old First series "Whisper"
* the complete set of "Fantastic Four Vs. The X-Men." Remember that miniseries? It had these weird nightmarish covers featuring Franklin Richards that kind of had nothing to do with the plot?
* the complete set of the '93/'94 miniseries "Spider-Woman"
* really random X-Men/mutant stuff
* a really messed-up old issue of "Kamandi" (messed-up in the sense that it looks like one big acid trip)
* and of course, an issue of "Wally The Wizard"

Usually with these discount bins I tend to buy mostly oddball items and a lot of "Bronze Age" stuff. This time I mainstreamed it up a bit. I just love buying old stuff in general, especially for dimes. I really would have brought home a whole longbox of those comics if I could.






10 comments:

  1. Kamandi as an OMAC??

    Awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every issue of Kamandi is big acid trip. That is why it is was the greatest comic book ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any time you encounter an X number of books for a dollar bin, it is a thing of beauty. I always hit up one seller at the NY area cons. His are .50, so pricey in comparisson, but you get good copies of relatively recent books for cheap. I got the entire run of Greatest Hits for less than I would have paid for a trade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Discount bins are my Kryptonite. I'm addicted. Any show I go to, I always end up spending the first half of the first day thumbing through them.

    At one of the last Big Apple Cons, there was this guy near the video section who dropped his prices to a dime the last day and I ended up walking away with over 500 books that weekend.

    Amazing the great stuff you can find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still haven't read that issue of Kamandi ... and I was reading this series when it came out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have that Spider-Woman miniseries. I'm bummed they sidelined that character, I always found her more interesting than the Jessica Drew Spider-Woman, but what can ya do?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You Scored!
    I have a complete run of Kirby Kamandis that I picked up in bargain bins (and a few on eBay). It was an absolute blast to read through them all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how in Fallen Angels that "one moment of anger" and "their lives are changed forever" lasted... oh... about as long as it took to read the miniseries itself.

    Lots of great stuff there! Why is it these comics for 10 cents provide about 100 bucks worth of entertainment each and a modern comic for 3.99 feels like about 10 cents worth?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That Kamandi is not a score. It's not even an acid trip. It's a post-Kirby issue where the best they could do was somehow tie Kamandi in with the rest of Kirby's creations and the DC universe. There's a reason it was cancelled soon after.

    Kirby Kamandi is however awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There was a table at the Philly con a couple of years ago that was full of old, cheap comics. What was particularly great about it, though, was that it was a table, with comics spread about haphazardly on it, not a series of cheapie longboxes, which I routinely ignore. But man, I got issues of World's Finest, Popeye, Ghostly Haunts, Superman, Marvel Two-In-One, Richie Rich, and all sorts of other things from this big, wonderful, inviting pile of unbagged, unboarded comics. I pulled 20 out, and as I left, the stall owner came by and refreshed the pile with some more.

    I didn't dare look.

    ReplyDelete