Pages

Friday, March 21, 2008

I Don't Have Time To Cry


I had one prominent blogger write a pretty nasty note to me yesterday, and the gist of it was that I was told to "cry."

Now, this is stuff people do when they're 16, sending these little crappy messages to people.

Do you know how I spent my day yesterday?

1. Answering a ton of e-mails

2. Talking with my friends and family

3. Trying to hunt down a magazine that has an article on me

4. Scoring a major (MAJOR!) sponsorship for Friends of Lulu

5. Attending two meetings

6. Working on an online PR campaign for a major company and a major museum

7. Finishing off the mentorship Lulu had with a talented teen who wants to break into drawing comics

8. Squeezing in a few blog posts in the middle of all this

As you can see, my time to cry is at a minimum.

Actually, I feel really accomplished and good about myself.

Further, with the first day of Spring and the start of the holidays, I'm at my favorite time of the year.

Spring and the Easter holiday is all about life sprouting from death. Renewal.

Something happened yesterday that I felt was truly a miracle.

It is something that will help women in comics.

So I'm going to enjoy my holiday.

12 comments:

  1. Meh, if it was me I'd happily name them, even if not going into details. By keeping them anonymous you're giving them a free pass to carry on being an asshole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here here! The only reason to cry is if you're horribly allergic to pollen. *sniff*

    Spring is the absolute best time of year and it sounds like it's already off to a pretty good start for the OS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy spring/Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And it's Purim! Any holiday that lets you dress up in costumes AND has it's own pastry is my idea of fun!

    You're doing great work. The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If that was the blog comment I saw, yeah, I thought that was really weird. I expected better out of him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with the angry pollen guy. My hay fever was out of control today!

    As someone having a positive impact on comics... not just talking about the culture but doing things about it, you definitely should feel accomplished and in a good place.

    The people who rely on personal attacks and a-fussin' and a-feudin' are the ones who should be crying.

    And I assume they are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think just the opposite.

    If you name names, it just keeps that person's identity out there and most people who get off on this find it some bizarre badge of honor.

    But if you take away that spotlight, it drive them fucking nuts. And THAT, my friends, is what I call revenge. Just drop and and watch them squirm.

    Best way of dealing with an internet jerk. Take away the one reason they're making their comments and move on. Drives them crazy to no end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I kind of want to see this jerkoff's note to you so I can properly ridicule it. Seriously, Val, that's the kind of thing elementary school kids do to bully people. Have a Happy Easter! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. As much as I think knowing whoever this person was would be good so that word of their moronic play-games could spread, I agree with Tom Beland in that mentioning it, but not who this person is, is the best course of action. Because annoying internet "personalities" want just that, their name out there come hell or high water.

    Congrats again on the mention in Geek Monthly, I'm hoping to find a copy to check out!


    fistfightatthearthouse.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw that post and was kinda shocked by the harshness in it. Doesn't seem representative of the personality that comes through on his blog.There was more venom in it.

    I am glad that you didn't cry. You shouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Huh, I'm all curious about this miracle now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, after tracking down what this was all about, I wonder why I bothered.
    I swear, from now on, fights between People On The Internet Who I Don't Actually Know are no longer something I will concern myself with. As far as issues of Right or Wrong, there are ways of contributing to causes of social justice, both within one's community and on a wider scale, that are, even at their most ineffectual, more meaningful than arguing with strangers in someone's blog comments.
    I'm not changing whose blogs I read, but whenever I see a post about a personal dispute from now on, I'm backing out or skipping to the next one, and I'm not even touching the comments.

    ReplyDelete