Pages

Friday, March 14, 2008

Fangirl Fridays: Comic Books As The Goony Guest and "Reality Comics"

I went to this (non-comics) business function yesterday, and it was like this gorgeous place filled with all these high-powered people and I was like: how did I get here? I think I did okay, but I always feel a little like a goon at these things. I arrived late for the reception because I was finishing off at my job, and by the time I got my refreshments they were blinking the lights and closing the doors because we were supposed to see a presentation. And I did a totally Homer Simpson move, I was trying to drink as much wine and eat as much grape leaves and cheese crisps as possible before they closed the reception hall. OMG. I mean, I actually had a silent Homer groan in my head. You know the one.

After the event I went off to walk ten blocks in my high heels to the comics shop. The shoes were not comfortable; I think I felt my left pinkie toenail fall off. And I went to the comic shop and thought:

"Well, what a clash in worlds this evening! How can I reconcile these worlds -- the (non-comics) business world and the comic world? Maybe I have to choose. Maybe they are not compatible."

But, I think that is a load of crap.

There is no reason for comics, as a branch of the entertainment media, to be the "goony" guest at the high-class business reception, chomping down cheese cubes and feeling insecure. Indeed, in certain sectors it is not that goony guest.

But, I still see a gap to be overcome in the industry in order to fully integrate it in the pantheon of other "high-powered" entertainment media.

Some of that has to do with a degree of lack of competitive edge in certain sectors. New TV shows that do poorly -- unless they have that "cult" quality to it and the network wants to protect it -- usually get canceled pretty fast. They don't linger painfully for a year or more as they bleed viewers with every month. TV schedules are lean. (unfortunately, this leanness includes a whole bunch of reality shows I think are crap, but...).

Which makes me go off on a tangent --

"Reality Comics" -- what do you think?

It's a genre of comics that would be like a reality show. You get regular people to draw 'em. And then you film the whole drama. Or you get D-list celebrities to draw 'em. Jeff Conway. Chyna. Salt or Pepa.

See, this is why I should be in the driver's seat in the comics industry. All these awesome ideas I have.

Anyway, my toenail didn't fall off. But my feet hurt. And now I gotta put the shoes back on.

Nobody takes my "reality comics" idea without paying me, you hear? Intellectual property.

:-D

11 comments:

  1. Part of my job forces me to black tie it up at events, so I've got some relationship with the dichotomy you're talking about, including the 'stop by the comics shop' overdressed moment--but for me, it's always down to one thing. Money. Comics should/could/would get a little more estimation when there's money there. I'm not interested in conventions, but i'd imagine they get treated a bit more high class when the movie producers are around, don't they? When an issue of Nightwing hits the monetary level of a Juno, then you might see more red carpet treatment--not before. Nobody is going to roll out the expensive wine until it looks like Dick Grayson can foot the bill. Considering those sales figures you referenced a few days ago, that day looks a long ways off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That reality comics ideas seems like a good idea. Though we could do Comics Writing Idol too. You get a whole bunch of hungry amateur writers auditioning to have their stories drawn by A-list comics creators. You'd at least get decent art even if the story wasn't too good.

    I think this is the method used when conceiving All Star Batman and Robin The Boy Wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Reality Comics" -- what do you think?

    It's a genre of comics that would be like a reality show. You get regular people to draw 'em. And then you film the whole drama. Or you get D-list celebrities to draw 'em. Jeff Conway. Chyna. Salt or Pepa.


    Val, you lost me on this one. Not sure exactly what you mean here. Could you elaborate? Odds are it's perfectly understandable and I'm just being thick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would pay to read a comic created by both Dirk Benedict and Jeff Conaway. If Ted McGinley were to draw it, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rocketeer Z,

    With Reality Comics, instead of professional comic book creators, you just get somebody off the street and have them do a comic book. They script, draw, letter, and color it. And then Marvel or DC would print it. If the recession hits the comic industry, it could be an excellent way to save money, just like what the TV industry is doing now with all those reality shows.

    Now, if the comic publishers really wanted to be clever, they would do what VH1 does in The Surreal Life, and have celebrities make the comics. While my first suggestion regarding reality comics was a bit tongue-in-cheek, I actually think this would be kinda interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now, if the comic publishers really wanted to be clever, they would do what VH1 does in The Surreal Life, and have celebrities make the comics

    Isn't this already being done (in a fashion) with Gene Simmons and Jenna Jameson?

    ReplyDelete
  7. On a related sidebar, I think whoever is in charge of the rulles set up by the Geneva convention should investigate women's shoes. Because I think they are definitely a form of cruel and unusual punishment.

    My wife usually tries to get the most sensible women's business shoes she can, but still end up cramming her feet into them. What's the deal? When these styles were created, did women have pointed feet?

    ReplyDelete
  8. aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

    Ok, I get it.

    That really WOULD be kind of interesting.

    I know a guy Like Gerald Way is doing a very cool comic in Umbrella Academy... and anyone who has read his lyrics with My Chemical Romance (my Wife's AND my 10 yr old son's favorite band) knows he's into some DEEP and dark subjects...

    I wonder what someone like Jon Anderson (from Yes) might come up with...

    ReplyDelete
  9. sorry to burst your bubble, but there's no intellectual property protection in ideas. Ideas are not protectable by copyright or trademark, only embodiments of an idea bound in a perceptible form are protected. This is called the idea-expression dichotomy. You would have to have an expression of this idea (e.g. an actual reality comic book) for that expression to be protectable. That's just the legal stuff though.

    I am kind of interested in the idea of reality comics though, but not in the same way as you, comics by pseudo-celebrities. I think there might be a better market for comic versions of reality tv, comic books about people who have interesting lives OR EVEN BETTER "Real World"-style comics of superheroes and comic characters. Imagine a book of interviews confessionals and behind the scenes junk following the characters in between the action of this week's issue. What life lesson did Alfred give Bruce over breakfast the morning of the day that Robin almost killed the green lantern in the recent Batman and Robin? What was the small talk between Cyclops and Logan before Cyclops asked Logan to reform X-Force? Maybe it was about recent movies one of them saw, maybe it was about buying a new pair of slacks, who knows?

    OK, maybe this is a little more personal than could be done with established characters, but I still think this would be a cool idea, if even with new characters or with existing c-list characters. I'm waiting to see this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Most of the celebrity types that the have dabbled in comics have approached it more like they do independent films – taking a pay cut for love of the art. Although I am morbidly curious about what kind of comics would be created by low-end celebrities ready to make a quick buck by acting like fools in public – although the contributions of Gene Simmons and Jenna Jameson might qualify. Still, they’re not quite the comic equivalent of Flavor of Love, are they? (It’s like watching a car wreck. A car wreck with really nasty flu.)

    Tony Delgado wrote, “Though we could do Comics Writing Idol too. You get a whole bunch of hungry amateur writers auditioning to have their stories drawn by A-list comics creators. You'd at least get decent art even if the story wasn't too good.”

    Yeah, they’re doing that right now. Who Wants to Create a Super-Heroine? Although you have to join editor Kris’s forum to vote. Here’s a repost of the final five that you don’t have to register to see.

    Val, I’d love to hear your thoughts as a reader, an editor, and a woman about the final entries for the contest. In that order. Course, as it’s your blog, you can organize your thoughts in another manner as it suits you. As a person with sore feet perhaps. Although they’ve hopefully recovered by the time you read this.

    High heels have certainly had a long life as a “look, I have so many resources, I can wear impractical clothing – extra resources that could be repurposed to ensure our children have a better chance at surviving this hostile world” item, haven’t they? I have a sudden urge to grow my hair down to the middle of my back again. Or possibly wear flannel without buttoning it up or tucking it in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "I think there might be a better market for comic versions of reality tv, comic books about people who have interesting lives"

    Those are called biographies, I believe.

    ReplyDelete