Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Occasional Superheroine Reader Profile: ANJ


Name: Anj

Location: Boston

Occupation: ER physician

Comics you read: Too many to count. But current ones worth mentioning: Criminal, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Fist, She-Hulk, Supergirl, Legion, JSA, Fallen Angel, The Programme, Ex Machina

Fave artist: Phil Noto, Dan Brereton

Fave writer: Ed Brubaker, historically Howard Chaykin

Fave character: Supergirl

First comic you ever read: Been reading for more than 30yrs. But first one I can truly remember was Spiderman 161. Nightcrawler and Spiderman brawling at an amusement park. Punisher emptying clips everywhere. Pure childhood bliss.

Your favorite comic book "memory": Buying the first year of American Flagg back issues at age 16 after cashing my first ever work check. Reading them in one sitting and thinking I was all that, but also thinking that the medium was growing up like I was. The first year of Flagg still holds up after all these years.

Most frustrating comic book "moment": I absolutely loved Peter David's Supergirl comic, especially the first 50 issues. So when DC decided to remove Linda and Matrix from the current continuity, I was beyond perplexed.

Where/how do you buy your comics?: Pull folder set up at New England Comics

Floppies or trades?: Mostly floppies. Will buy trades for 'worthy' titles I want to reread ad nauseum (Brubaker's Sleeper, Moore's Swamp Thing, Morrison's JLA & Doom Patrol).

Marvel or DC?: Historically DC, although I tend to follow writers now, so I am pretty much 50/50 now.

Star Wars or Star Trek?: Star Wars

Non-comic book hobbies: Film buff, fantasy football

Personal motto: It's all good

How did you start reading "Occasional Superheroine?": happened upon it as a link one day, read regularly, comment rarely

Attached pic is Noto Supergirl commission obtained at Baltimore comicon last year.

4 comments:

  1. I kept hoping this Supergirl would be a Kryptonian robot or something...I also have a fondness for Matrix etc. I also like Kryptonian Brainiac. In my head, I toss around all kinds of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most curious as to what "fantasy football" is... Can someone explain it to me please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Done with American football, a bunch of guys build an imaginary football team out of real players from any team. Those imaginary teams play each other every week using the game stats that the real players made during their real games that week. I’m not sure at what point geek culture managed to completely subvert the jocks, but this is clearly one of the victory signs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That supergirl commission is really, really pretty. I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete