Pages

Monday, March 23, 2009

Evolution of a Smallville Fandom Kick


Okay, here is the evolution of a Smallville fandom kick:

1. Watch show sporadically.

2. Hook on to some obscure element of show -- in my case, the "Doomsday" storyline. To refresh your memory, that's the storyline that revisions Doomsday as a cute EMT with great hair.

3. Watch show regularly.

4. Watch DVR'ed recording of show and skip through all the parts that aren't about Doomsday.

5. Go on YouTube and look for fan videos.

6. Search Google for fan-fiction.

7. Buy copy of Smallville official magazine with variant "Doomsday" cover.

8. Search Google for fan wallpaper.

9. Go back on YouTube and look for new fan videos.


10. In deep embarrassment, sign onto Chloe/Davis shipper fan forum under assumed name.

11. Nearly poop myself over last week's episode, recapping for BF only the Doomsday bits. ("And then Jimmy got addicted to morphine!")

12. Go back on YouTube and look at official CW promo vids of Doomsday; sit through excruciating CW reporter's tired banter (in order to get to the good stuff!).

13. Consider pros and cons of "friending" David Bloom on Facebook. Pro: great profile pic. Con: will show up on my newsfeed and will look like dork in front of 400+ Facebook friends.

14. Considers writing fan-fiction about next episode because the wait is too long for next episode. Wonders if sort of illegal.

15. Fights overwhelming feeling that resolution to storyline will be ultimately disappointing and leave niche of Chlavis/Chloom shippers in paroxysms of fan-rage. "DIAF! You always hated Davis! You bastards!"

16. Realizes that I'm turning into Mel from Flight of the Conchords.

17. Reflects on how cute Jemaine from Conchords is.


18. Go back on YouTube and look for Jemaine clips.

19. Contemplates Smallville/Flight of the Conchords crossover fic where Jemaine is third Kryptonian baby who landed on Earth.

20. The circle is now complete.

20 comments:

  1. Slightly off-topic, I think only women (and possibly gay men, although I do not want to presume that their tastes will be the same as women) genuinely like Flight of the Concords, and the straight guys that do, only do so because their girlfriend/wife got them into it.

    It is just not a funny show. Watching it because you think the guys are attractive and cute is one thing, but that show is not funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:25 PM

    So when do you get to the inevitable Chloe/Jemaine shipping?

    Also, I had no idea that there were Chloe/Davis shippers. I hate that Davis! Gah!

    But, yeah, the "Doomsday" arc is all sorts of awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:27 PM

    .... I may have to de-follow this blog now.

    (Welling needs to be wearing the Superman suit in that pro pic)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry, I'm too busy checking out Lois and Chloe in that picture.

    I'm not sure what they did, but Lois is a lot less blonde and softer (her broken/redone nose is also less noticeable)

    HUBBA HUBBA! Oh you kid, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha okay, wow.

    I'm probably gonna be an enabler but I'll just merely say: fanfiction.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:02 PM

    That is a lie, JMY! I am a straight guy who likes "Conchords," and my wife and sister-in-law just do not get it. It's really a matter of if you like their music parodies or not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "It is just not a funny show. Watching it because you think the guys are attractive and cute is one thing, but that show is not funny."

    Flight of the Conchords reminds me a lot of The Monkees -- they have the same haircuts, for starters

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:31 PM

    Actually, Brian, Tom needs to be wearing no shirt. It'll provide a visual hook.

    Also, can I just say I'm surprised you've never said anything about the Scans Daily thing?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:06 PM

    Another straight man who absolutely loved FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS. But then again, I like dry wit humor and musicals, so I'm predisposed to liking it.

    Really, JMY, you don't even think "Business Time" is funny?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:37 PM

    "Flight of the Conchords" is, indeed, one of the funniest shows to come around in a loooong time. I got MY wife into it. So, there we have it. Internet assertions are assertive.

    Now, Smallville...that's for chicks. (Nope, i haven't seen a single episode and have no idea what I'm talking about.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:49 PM

    "Also, can I just say I'm surprised you've never said anything about the Scans Daily thing?"

    I'm a bit confused here. Help me out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you like Flight Of The Conchords, may I recommend The Mighty Boosh? Series 2 or 3 for preference...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seriously - only women get Flight of the Conchords?

    America is a strange. strange place.

    You'd be hard pressed to get a girl even remotely interested in it in England. At least that's how it is in my extended social circles.

    It's percieved as nerdy and obsessive and, therefore, clearly male territory.

    I for one think it's genius - Murray is totally the star :)

    (I'm straight btw)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried watching two first season episodes and the premiere of the second season. I found the humor obvious and boring and it seems like it is trying for a Christopher Guest/Eugene Levy improvised movie thing, but fails miserably, IMHO.

    I love dry humor and wit, but there has to be humor.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If there's a best of ep, I would be willing to check it out, but I would not subject myself to another regular ep.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ...Val, you're kind of weird.

    ...Which results in creativity! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous5:17 PM

    Oh, whoops, I was talking to Val!

    ReplyDelete
  18. "shipper"?

    ...Wiki....

    Oh. I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haven't been doing much blog reading on my vacation, Val, but this one was well worth it. Absolutely hilarious!
    -Rob

    ReplyDelete
  20. *giggles*

    serious love for this.

    I've been through step 15 myself.

    ReplyDelete