Pages

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

30 Rock Vs. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia



An actual conversation that has occurred in the history of the world:

"I don't really find the characters on 30 Rock that likable. I like the characters on It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia better."

"Are you serious? Didn't you tell me last week that you liked the characters on Family Guy better than those on How I Met Your Mother?"

"I did."

"Well...that just reveals a systematic problem."

"Look, 30 Rock & How I Met Your Mother are just shows about rich spoiled people with made-up problems. I see this as a socio-economic issue, perhaps even a socio-economic-cultural issue."

"I can't believe you."

"And another thing...you know how on the Mr. Belvedere theme song they have a line like life is more than mere survival? Oh come on! That family never knew what it was like to have mere survival. They have a friggin' butler, for God's sake. And their dad is Bob Uecker!"

"Haven't you even watched Mr. Belvedere? The man was taken in to make money to send home to his family! They were trying to help him out. It was charity."

"Uh..."

"Money to send home for his family. His own family."

"You're right...I feel terrible."

"You should feel terrible..."

****

The next day:

"What are you listening to?!"

"It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia clips on YouTube. Wild card, bitches! Whoo!"

12 comments:

  1. Someone should write a set of ongoing crib notes for your blog. About 1/4 of the time I have no idea what you are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:07 PM

    As much as I like it..."How I Met Your Mother" is funny because Neil Patrick Harris is in it playing someone who's borderline psychotic. Everything else in that show could be synonymous with leftover concepts from episodes of "Friends".

    "30 Rock" is also more or less only the breakaway hit it is because of Alec Baldwin and Tracy Morgan's characters, who are more or less totally crazy as well. And while Tina Fey is a fantastic writer, those two, who are so borderline "I could have totally been a supervillain or homeless man".

    I don't think it's actually a "class" sort of thing, more like the majority of conventional TV seems to be totally neutered, and usually aims for depending on their token "totally wacky" characters to draw in the laughs. "IASIP" is not only entirely composed of a cast of people who could be considered criminally pathological, but since they aren't really hindered by broadcast TV restriction, can indulge in the stuff they cover, which is mroe or less a more accurate portrayal of life than "the search for love". Granted not everyone thinks self-immolation and huffing glue are funny, but I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't watch 30 Rock. The only comedy with the word "rock" in the title that I'll ever watch is "3rd Rock from the Sun", wherein Wayne Knight had the best job a bespectacled, middle-agish fat guy ever had.

    As far as "It's Always Sunny..." The commercials leave me in stitches, but I can't make it to the first commercial break without feeling... dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in love with Jack on 30 Rock. Not really Alec Baldwin so much, just Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good argument. I will say 30 Rock is funny...but I honestly don't watch it. Now, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is probably wanna of the greatest unconventional sitcoms ever in the history of everness. I love the upbeat music intro with the title being something morbid, perverted, or taboo. And, of course, Charlie is the best character...he is one of the writers. And, if you didn't know, The Waitress that Charlie always stalks is his wife in real life. Pretty funny. (Nice one with the "Wild Card" bit...classic Charlie.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like the kind of earth-shattering subjects discussed by my friends and I on our little bulletin board every day. Our most recent controversy: A heated argument about whether or not Frankenstein's monster should be classified as "undead."

    PS- Every show mentioned in this post is one I've enjoyed. I've simply got to watch less TV! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I seriously never got the whole "likability of fictional characters as a reason to like or dislike a show/movie/etc." thing.
    More American TV shows have been harmed by what I call "the likability fetish" than have ever been improved by it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Tina Fey is neat-o.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Someone should write a set of ongoing crib notes for your blog. About 1/4 of the time I have no idea what you are talking about."

    I like to think of it as a riddle wrapped up in an enigma.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love both shows for the same reason. Off-kilter, bizarre comedy.

    And they also have two ladies who make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. --I like to think of it as a riddle wrapped up in an enigma.--

    I always figured you more of a, "Once you know the answers I change the questions," type person.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Liz Lemon and I love Charlie!

    ReplyDelete