Pages

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Support Creator-Driven Comics Like The Night Owls!


The Night Owls on Zuda.com really needs your help, in terms of readership, feedback, and support. It's a sharp, cute webcomic about a detective agency in the 1920's focusing on the supernatural. It's not cloying or saccharine but it's not gory and depressing either. It's just fun. And I give it my stamp of approval as something you can share with your older children. There are a few demons and boogeymen and whatnot -- but nothing worse than in Harry Potter.

Best of all, you don't have to spend any money on it! Recession special.

I firmly believe that especially in these troubled economic times, quality comics -- especially ones independent from editorial fiat and conceived & created by the creators -- need to be supported. Because if they're not supported, it turns into a Minx situation where you know the new mantra is "girl books don't sell." I think some of what DC puts out is heartless cynical crap, but if there are some diamonds here in the rough, comics with heart -- something has to be said. And that pretty much goes for any comic that you think is worthwhile.

Because really, Zuda is an example of a "big box" comic company trying to support independent creators. If these efforts aren't supported, then, like I said -- a new mantra is born. And that certainly doesn't help the diversity of product that this "big box" company will put out in the future. Then it all becomes Booster Gold and 24-month-long events and weak Sandman spinoffs. Then it all becomes editorial dictation rather than giving creators freedom. Then it's all capes-and-tights comics, with other genres be damned. And then that's what the public "voted" for -- so there really can't be too many complaints.

Please drop by the Night Owls site, check out their old stuff and then take a look at the new season. Then give them feedback if you wish, and tune in regularly for their new stuff.

And check out this trailer for their comix:

12 comments:

  1. Ya know, I sho nuff loves me some comics but I've kind of been resisting the Zuda thing. My main beef is that I just don't care for that reader. (I like the one ComicMix uses.) I kind of prefer when there is just the one page of comics formated to fit most computer screens and you hit "next" for the next page. Using my laptop, I have to use the zoom thingy to read the Zuda strips, because I'm blind. All that said... yeah, that Night Owl strip is good. I was pretty much sold on the thing from the setting and the subject matter but the execution is pretty good to. Worth fooling with the zoom doohicky anyway. Thanks for the heads up Val.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love anything set in this time period. And supernatural detectives, too?

    SOLD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Val! This was a welcome surprise this morning.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  4. wooof. I had no idea there were so many web comics. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heartly agree. Initiatives like Zuda should be supported. Some of the comics published there are really great.
    My favorites are Night Owls, Bayou, Melody, Pray for Death and Celadore. Imaginary Boys is off to a great start too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been pleasantly surprised with zuda. They have a lot of really good comics. The update schedule is a little weird and the site isn't the best but they are definitely on the right path.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Shannon that the reader makes it more of a chore for me to read the comix at Zuda.

    I have always loved the portability of floppy comix and the fact that I can read them anywhere, until they invent a reader that is reasonably priced and portable I will have a hard time reading comix on the puter...

    ArrrOOOooo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. p.s. That part in the Night Owls trailer where the lady is punching the bag then she bats her eyes is golden. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recommend going into full screen mode to view the zuda comics.
    It loads just as fast as regular mode, and there's no squinting. Just click on the right side of the screen to advance, or the left side to go back.
    Eezy-peezy, lemon-squeezy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11:27 PM

    Dont' forget:
    "And they make a new Spirit comic."

    ReplyDelete
  11. For anyone who's interested in seeing/meeting the Timony Brothers in person (or myself), we're going to be doing Comic Book Club Live in NYC this Tuesday October 6th.

    Sorry if it's self promotion, but I figured it was on topic since it was about The Timony Brothers. Who I've never met, but I've been reading The Night Owls and thoroughly enjoying the strip.

    Tickets: $5
    Online: ThePIT-NYC.com
    Phone: 1-800-838-3006
    Questions? 212-563-7488

    The Peoples Improv Theater
    154 West 29th Street, 2nd Floor
    Between 6th and 7th Aves.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Mark! It was nice meeting you the other night! Comic Book Club was fun.

    ReplyDelete