Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

How *I* Found Love and Sex at the New York ComicCon, By David G.

I hadn't planned on going to the New York ComicCon. I hadn't been to a real comic convention in over three years. I hemmed and hawed about going for weeks. Sure, I made a small splash in 2003 with my couple of books, but after that point, my health and my comic career took a serious nosedive. Comics and I had a little flirting, a fine little courtship, a passionate affair – and then nothing. You see, I got sick – and Comics was nowhere to be found. I thought we had broken up.

Comics must have been drunk dialing me a few day before the show, because, I heard her calling me again. I bought my professional badge and headed into what felt like almost felt like a class reunion. Maybe my love could be rekindled after all?

And of course, Comics didn't disappoint me. The show was spectacular. And Comics friends were delighted to see me.

"Hey, man … where you been?"
"It's been a long time, David G."
"Dude!"

It was flattering to be greeted back with open arms. Comics hadn't forgotten about me. I had forgotten about comics. I had forgotten how inspiring people can be – and how uniquely creative and beautiful Comics were.

Comics and I were lovers once more.

I didn't bring much with me to the show – a few writing samples and a copy of my advertising portfolio to show a few select people. No pitches. No proposals. No crazy ideas to pitch to editors on the fly. A few business cards – and a few samples of my work – and me.

Comics and I had a good time that weekend. She told me to attend the Valiant Comics panel – there were some people I had to meet. At the start of the panel, Comics told me that I had to meet with Jeff Gomez, the panel spokesperson, which I did. Comics didn't tell me that she had another surprise waiting for me in the form of a certain Occasional Superheroine …

During the panel, I waited for the Occasional Superheroine to speak. I asked a couple of doofy questions, which got a couple of chuckles … but there wasn't a moment that I was bored – not a moment when I wasn't totally engaged by the rampant misadventures of a defunct comic company that I thoroughly loved in the mid-90s.

After the panel ended, I stood out in the lobbying waiting to again speak with Mr. Gomez. As I stood there waiting, the Occasional Superheroine introduced herself. She was wearing a Snoopy t-shirt that read 'I don't like being stared at' – it turns out, it's really hard not to stare a beautiful woman, who is wearing Snoopy right over her boobs. (But, gentlemen, as much as they might want to – simply don't stare.)

As it turned out, Occasional Superheroine and I had mutual friends, and thanks to my insanely unnecessary knowledge of anything related to Valiant and Acclaim, we had much to talk about.

We talked. And talked. And talked. I showed her some samples. We talked about lettering. We talked about art. We talked about books and blogs. And, when it was all over, I gave her my business card and she gave me her number – on a hastily drawn index card.

And then she said …

"We should hang out."

And I said, "That would be awesome."

(Apparently, 80's lingo still hasn't totally escaped my vernacular.)

From the moment I met her I knew she was 'more than just an Occasional Superheroine.'

I saw through her secret identity – just as she saw through mine.

And, I discovered a beautiful, compassionate, remarkable young woman, whose smile is brighter than a thousand suns. A woman who is just as super as she is wonderful.

So, yes … my love for Comics introduced me to my girlfriend.

But, I found her all by myself.

Or, maybe, she found me.

4 comments:

  1. nice, from the dude's perspective. lovesit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent. It does this old man's heart good to read stuff like this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No! No, Its... somethining in my eye

    *sniff*

    Really...



    Shucks :)
    Good on you David G

    ReplyDelete
  4. You folks are very kind, thank you.

    ReplyDelete