Pages

Sunday, February 11, 2007

World's Finest: Supergirl VS. Occasional Superheroine in "Hands Off My Mimbo!"

World's Finest: Supergirl VS. Occasional Superheroine in "Hands Off My Mimbo!"

Okay, the title of this post has nothing to do with a damn thing...

But here's a comment from "Supergirl" writer Mark Sable left under my recent "Supergirl Redux" post.

"I'm Mark Sable, who was mentioned in the much debated DC Nation column as co-writing Supergirl from issues 16-19 (right now only 16 is certain, though). I've spent a good portion of this past week engaging with fans who were not happy with Eddie's column. Obviously anything I say here is my own opinion, not DC's, Eddie's, or any of the other creators or editors involved with Supergirl. That said...

First off, I wanted to thank you for defending Eddie. Although I don't know him as well as you do, I do know him well enough to say that he was well intentioned, and I don't think deserved to be singled out.

I also wanted to echo the following statement you made:

"And this System WILL change. Please do not think that your letters and editorials do not get noticed up on Mount Olympus. Please do not think that higher-ups more higher-up than the higher-ups don't read this stuff -- or at least get briefs on it by their assistants."

I'm certainly not on Mount Olympus (although I get to visit once and a while, and they write my checks), but speaking for myself I can say that creators DO listen.

I know that there was a particular note to the artist that I would never have written had it not been for your "broken vagina monologues" in the script for SG #16 (I don't feel comfortable sharing it only because it's now the property of DC, not mine).

The back and forth with bloggers etc. has at the very least exposed me to voices I might not otherwise have heard. And should I continue on the title past the issue I've already written will undoubtedly influence what I write (if not on Supergirl, than on my other work).

I realize these may be small steps, but in my current capacity as a freelance/indie comic writer they're all that I can take.

Just thought you and your readers should know that your words don't fall on deaf ears. "

Some thoughts:

1) Cool points for comic creator Sable for his sensitivity & willingness to communicate w/the readers.

2) Here's hoping he doesn't get the old boot in his behind for the trouble; some new independent voices on these titles are a good thing.

3) This all said, I haven't read the new "Supergirl" issue in question so I can't comment one way or the other. Though I'm always open for review copies -- they can be sent in the same envelope as those single comp copies I was promised as a courtesy but never received of "New Frontier" and "Solo" and "Identity Crisis" and several other titles I assisted on at the time I left three years ago.

4) My broken hoohah is doing relatively ok. It's not really broken anymore, just somewhat neurotic and addicted to old Ronald Coleman movies.

1 comment:

  1. I think he was referring to how the White T-shirt Supergirl was your favorite.

    Kara is wearing a white supergirl t-shirt in the issue.

    PS> It was a realllllyyy good issue in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete