Pages

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Art Imitating Life Imitating Art?

Art Imitating Life Imitating Art?

Geez, it's 3:00 in the morning, I was sorting some photo ref, and I came across this little syzygy:

The photo has a lot of meaning to me as it was taken when I was 16, minutes before I left my family to have a parentally-sanctioned "run away from home" (which is a long story for another day). Right after this photo was taken, I lived on my own and essentially had the life of an adult -- my childhood ended. It was absolutely depressing and horrible and if you can read the expression on my face, I have absolutely no idea what the hell is going to happen to me; it's staring into the abyss.

The panel is from Uncanny X-Men #199, part of my all-time favorite run that featured Rachel Summers as Phoenix II. This is right after -- feeling alienated and out-of-her-time in this alternate universe where she never existed -- she absorbs all the power of Phoenix.

It's funny, I've been very familiar with both images but never picked up a similarity until now. Trivial I know, but that's the sort of thing that strikes a person at 3:00 A.M.

Swipe file, dude!
Time for bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment