Pages

Friday, February 02, 2007

Supergirl Redux

Supergirl Redux

So the proverbial s**t has hit the proverbial fan regarding all things Kara...

Regarding my previous post --

First, for those who were offended by my claim that adults who date minors are poopy-heads, let me say on the record that I was all for the Laura Ingalls/Almanzo Wilder pairing. But I still think that 90% of grown-up men who sleep with 16-year-olds are poopy-heads. When we return to an agrarian society with strong moral values and a life-expectancy of about 40, maybe I will adjust this opinion.

There's an excellent Supergirl blog called "Maid of Might" who did a good editorial on the whole "Women Who Needs Them I Do" plea for more female "Supergirl" readers. The blogger makes the point that institutionalized sexism makes sexists out of women. Somewhere in that sentence, I think I got a little dissed -- but rightly so. My suggestion to put Benes on "Supergirl" was, as far as I can remember, completely devoid of any other motivation than to impress my superiors with my keen comprehension of what "sells" -- sex. Looking back on it, I am rather shocked myself.

When I started working in the industry, I had these really high-faluting goals of "promoting women in comics," etc. I came from a highly feminist college situation -- women's empowerment groups, women's literature groups, women's health fairs, sexual harassment counseling, etc. A lot of us got into the whole "female spirituality" thing -- you know, rejecting the Judeo-Christian God as a tool of the patriarchy and empowering women by seeing the female form as divine. We would go through books of goddesses and find one to honor and use as a role-model. These goddesses each had their own super-power, costume, accessories, even mascots. So basically, instead of finding our role-models through comics and other entertainment -- which didn't seem to really give a s**t about us anyway -- we got ours from ancient mythology. When you give up on the media of the day to find your heroes on cuniform tablets -- something's wrong with the society.

But when I got into the comics industry, my priorities changed. Because I wanted nothing else than to succeed in the comics industry. That was it. That's all I wanted. And I observed how to make it and I proceeded to do so. And so I turned my back on all that "women's empowerment" stuff I was into in my academic days.

Which brings up the question -- was all that feminism I was into in my previous life all bulls**t, just a "hip" thing to do to pass the time? Was it meaningless?

You see, I don't think it was. I think it's what, ultimately, prevented me from being completely comfortable with the System. It's what made me physically sick, when mentally I was fully plugged-in with the System. I was saying "yes" to sexy art on what is essentially a "teen" book and giving my thumbs-up to "rape pages" and then I would sit in the lavatory for like twenty minutes with my heart racing and feeling nauseous and not understand why.

But when it is your job to bring in the numbers, when you are getting judged month-by-month on how your sales are doing, when your head is caught in the vise of such pressures, what do you do? And I was just an assistant with no dependents. What if you have an entire family to support? What do you do? Do you play the "iconoclast?" Do you put your family's medical insurance on the line so you can make a point about feminism? To risk getting fired so you can step forward and say, "I am Spartacus?"

"Supergirl" editor Eddie Berganza took a lot of flack online for his editorial asking women to give his book another try. I knew Berganza. I had lunch with the man two or three times a week. I babysat his kids once or twice in the offices while he was in meetings. As the father of a teenage girl -- who is probably the age Kara is by now -- you could not get any better. He raised this girl with an incredible sense of self-esteem and self-empowerment. He encouraged her to be active in sports, excel in school, and to be forthright, strong, and independent. Talking to her, I was quite impressed -- I was like, "this kid is going to be President of the United States one day; and if not that, probably any damn thing she wants to be." And if a guy tried to sexually harass her she'd probably karate-flip him into a plate-glass window. You don't raise girls like that by being a rampaging misogynist. I should know, because I was raised by a rampaging misogynist.

Which is not to say that parts of Berganza's editorial didn't make me go "D'oh!" I mean, if I had the power of The Beyonder from "Secret Wars" I think I'd go through time and erase the word "Mimbo" out of existence.

But the problem is the System. It's a groupthink philosophy of looking at things that starts from the top.

The System has to change. And it stands a better chance of changing from without than within. Within the System, you're sort of trapped. I could not do a damn thing for "women in comics" of any value until I was out of that particular System. All the articulate, empassioned bloggers and posters out there who agitate for change is what's going to change this System. Letter-writing campaigns are what's going to change this System. Voting with your wallets is what's going to change this System.

And this System WILL change. Please do not think that your letters and editorials do not get noticed up on Mount Olympus. Please do not think that higher-ups more higher-up than the higher-ups don't read this stuff -- or at least get briefs on it by their assistants.

But I don't know if singling out one person -- other than the actual policy makers -- really does a lot of good. I'm not saying this for sentimental reasons, I am saying this as a matter of practicality.

For example, I worked at Acclaim Comics for 2 & 1/2 years. Working there, under the leadership of Fabian Nicieza, I NEVER felt pressured to "tart up" my comics. I NEVER felt the need to betray my own gender to get ahead or to think that my gender had anything to do with getting promoted. That whole idea was never even on my radar. That was the System of Acclaim Comics under Fabian Nicieza. It started with him, the type of person he was.

***

As for what direction to put "Supergirl" in -- I dunno, can't it be like the early Peter David stuff, or like "The Young Avengers," and "The Runaways," or like old-school Perez "Titans" and "Wonder Woman," anything like that? Or bite the bullet and have a solid, teen-friendly book like "Spider Girl" and stick with it and make your money back on licensing her to TV, clothing, etc.

***

Geez, now I want to go to Blockbuster and rent "Spartacus."

7 comments:

  1. Is it bad that my main problem with the current Supergirl comic, outside of the Paris Hilton poses, is that I want them to pick a freaking direction and go in it?

    Kelly is rambling more than my assistant manager when she's trying to convince me that I need to try and upsell our customers with everything in the store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your point regarding the change coming from outside makes me ask a genuine question: Does DC have message boards to give the readers a place to sound off, or is it sort of a reservation for the lunatics to feel that they're being heard?

    I'm not sure the letter columns ever spawned the endless badly formed arguments which mostly populate discussion boards, making them easy to ignore.

    To the point of blogging (which is where I personally feel something resembling coherent speechifying, if not discussion, is taking place...), perhaps those blogs, like this one, DO stand a chance of giving readers a moment of pause before shelling out a few bucks for a comic. I don't think bad reviews have ever stopped anyone from buying anything, and I don't think good reviews ever convinced anyone to actually buy a good comic.

    At the end of the day, it's commerce. And voices like your own are what make dullards like me think twice when we read something that we may have otherwise taken for granted, even when we should have known better or perhaps gave the publisher the benefit of the doubt.

    Also, Michael, upselling is always good for the bottom line, even if it takes a little more effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valerie (is it okay to call you that or am I supposed to use a pseudonym?),

    I'm Mark Sable, who was mentioned in the much debated DC Nation column as co-writing Supergirl from issues 16-19 (right now only 16 is certain, though). I've spent a good portion of this past week engaging with fans who were not happy with Eddie's column. Obviously anything I say here is my own opinion, not DC's, Eddie's, or any of the other creators or editors involved with Supergirl. That said...

    First off, I wanted to thank you for defending Eddie. Although I don't know him as well as you do, I do know him well enough to say that he was well intentioned, and I don't think deserved to be singled out.

    I also wanted to echo the following statement you made:

    "And this System WILL change. Please do not think that your letters and editorials do not get noticed up on Mount Olympus. Please do not think that higher-ups more higher-up than the higher-ups don't read this stuff -- or at least get briefs on it by their assistants."

    I'm certainly not on Mount Olympus (although I get to visit once and a while, and they write my checks), but speaking for myself I can say that creators DO listen.

    I know that there was a particular note to the artist that I would never have written had it not been for your "broken vagina monologues" in the script for SG #16 (I don't feel comfortable sharing it only because it's now the property of DC, not mine).

    The back and forth with bloggers etc. has at the very least exposed me to voices I might not otherwise have heard. And should I continue on the title past the issue I've already written will undoubtedly influence what I write (if not on Supergirl, than on my other work).

    I realize these may be small steps, but in my current capacity as a freelance/indie comic writer they're all that I can take.

    Just thought you and your readers should know that your words don't fall on deaf ears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:47 PM

    "The blogger makes the point that institutionalized sexism makes sexists out of women. Somewhere in that sentence, I think I got a little dissed -- but rightly so."

    I didn't mean any criticism by it, but yeah, it does kind of sound like that! I just thought your story was a perfectly normal, non-evil-intentioned example of the kind of decisions that probably get made every day, by people who may never realize they're part of a totally messed up system.

    I'm really glad you wrote this post because it puts a human face on the kind of thing people have to go thru in order to survive - nevermind succeed - in a place like DC.

    "But the problem is the System. It's a groupthink philosophy of looking at things that starts from the top."

    Absolutely! Which is why I try to criticize DC "the company" rather than point specific fingers (although that's as much from not knowing *who* the policy makers actually are behind any given choice. I wonder if TBTB that really *do* have the power to effect change don't benefit from this anonymity somewhat.)

    Wonderful, enlightening post all around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kirk Douglas as Spartacus made me want to be a man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Purity Balls

    This is an interesting read, along the theme you are going with.

    PS. I guess cause I am a big ol mo, I don't really notice giant racks on female characters, but I have not notice such things in Benes's JLA.

    Also noted, the newest issue of Supergirl was so awesome. I seriously love this comic (and enjoyed the white t-shirt supergirl homage)

    ReplyDelete