Pages

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Secret Identities and Alter-Egos in Pop-Culture

To me, the whole superhero business boils down to secret identities -- alternate selves that encompass everything one wishes to be or hides from his- or herself.
I've always loved those Academy Awards segments where they show a montage on a particular theme. Through YouTube I've assembled a compilation of various clips that address the topic of alter-egos. What I'm currently writing for my own project focuses in part on this idea, so it's inspiring and informing me as well. But mostly, I'm just a big YouTube whore. Enjoy.

Please Note -- some clips contain spoilers



































5 comments:

  1. maybe it's just me being lame, but i was disappointed that you didn't post a clip from Family Matters where Steve Urkel turns into Stephan Urkel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or the one of Tom Servo becoming Htom Servaux.

    I admit, some of them I don't quite get the relevance of, like the Grease one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Grease, virginal Sandra Dee "transforms" into the sexpot that dances w/John Travolta at the end of the movie, a fairly superheroine-level feat

    Of course, what sort of message was this sending to me when I was seven years old...

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey in Grease's defense, he turned into Johnny dogooder to make her happy, so there was at least a fair exchange of changing for the one you love (I think she was way more of a minx than he was a pansy)... :)

    ps. My favorite scene in the JL cartoon is when Lex Luthor and Wally switch bodies and Lex is in the bathroom and goes

    "hmm let's see who he really is" *takes off mask*

    "... I have no idea who this is..."

    Genius. Love that scene.

    Also like the Buffy part and while Vamp Willow was nice, would've liked Dark Willow better... she's one bad ass biotch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah that JL cartoon clip was the best, especially when you consider that the Flash was voiced by Michael Rosenbaum who plays Lex Luthor on Smallville...

    Coincidence that those two characters were the ones switched? I'm betting...

    Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

    ReplyDelete