Pages

Sunday, February 25, 2007

What Turns Me On At Comic Conventions

No, I'm not talking about anything sexual (though for Occasional Superheroine the Comic Con can be a bit of a meat market)

******

Usually the biggest attractions at Cons are the BIG NAMES.

But for me, I'm most energized by talking to the following two groups:

First, the comic book veterans who have put their dues into the business. They've given their lives to this business. They don't get the big books all the time. They may or may not be between gigs. But they have a commitment to excellence in their craft, are dependable, and are a great resource. I like hearing their stories. I always want the best for them.

Second, the young (at least in spirit) up-and-coming new talent. The ones who singlemindedly folow their own vision. The ones who sink their life's savings into self-published comix. The ones that add a much-needed diversity and alternate point of view to this industry.

Both groups consistently leave me jazzed at the end of a Con. They are the real life's blood of this biz. And, though this sounds really corny, naive, and idealistic, interacting with them motivates me more to achieve in this industry so I can be in a better position to assist them and bring their talents to the spotlight.

So I'm going to add a New Talent Spotlight to the blog. I mean, why the hell not?

2 comments:

  1. Ooh! Ooh! Pick me as the new talent spotlight! Pleeeeassseee? I'll be your friend!

    ...Ah, hell with it, I'll be your friend, anyway. ^_~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget 'free stuff'...

    Vetrans, new talent and free stuff - convention gold.

    ReplyDelete