Pages

Friday, April 13, 2007

The Easiest Decision Dan Didio Ever Had To Make - Gail Simone New Wonder Woman Writer

I mean really, what a no-brainer.

"Hottest female writer + hottest female character"

It had always baffled me how DC never more aggressively pursued female writers for this title. And then when Gail made it big, how it was not damn obvious that she should write it.

Is there something symbolic in all of this? Should I read anything into this editorial decision at all? Am I justified in feeling just a little bit touched by having this frankly schizophrenic female pop icon (woman warrior/bondage queen) placed in the gentle but very capable creative direction of a writer like Gail?

I worked w/Gail on "Rose and Thorn." Now, Rose Forrest -- there was a confused superheroine. Rose rode the tides between gentle, sexy, dangerous, heroic. I know the old comic book cliché is, "woman uses personal trauma as impetus to crimefighting," but Gail made it work.

Wonder Woman, in my estimation, has also been a confused superheroine. She was created by William Moulton Marston, who, if you do some reading on the man, had a little bit of a confused, labyrinthine viewpoint on the female animal. Wonder Woman, basically, is the strongest woman in the world -- but somehow always finds herself onto bondage comic book covers. What a dichotomy. In the interest of making her a "stronger" superheroine, can we completely surgically remove this kinky/cheesecake aspect of the character, can we rewrite her past? I don't think we can. I don't think any writer can. The heady soup of Wondy's past -- her history not within DC continuity, but within our collective unconscious -- must be dealt with by the prospective writer in a skilled, sensitive, sincere manner.

Wonder Woman -- an easy character to f**k up. A personality larger than many writers can accommodate.

Gail is up to the job.

And yeah, I do think DC is making an effort. And that's not an easy thing for me to say.

(much thanks to regular blog reader Sammy, whose finger is constantly on the pulse of stuff that would be cool for me to rant about)

8 comments:

  1. Any idea which issue she starts writing from? Although i have loved comics since i was 10, i haven't actually bought a title in many years..

    Having heard nothing but praise about Ms Simone's writing, this sounds like a good place to dip my toe in once again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Issue #13, according to Newsarama.

    Gail's writing is terrific. This is the only thing that makes me less sad that she's leaving "Birds of Prey."

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of those perfect mathces of creator and character at a time when Wonder Woman was in serious need of help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the real underlying question is why can't they find more female writer's? Supergirl is desperately in need of one. There are a swiftly growing group of female fans and I have to believe some of them can write...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thrilled that Gail got this book. It's enough to make me actually want to read it.

    I had really thought they got rid of the ridiculous weakness of losing her powers when she's bound though. I thought it wasn't even written out because that would dignify it, just ignored since like the 60s on the grounds that it was a stupid pervert fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From what I understand, Marston put in the bondage element as a way to attract male readers. Female readers would read the comic already and know she was a strong inspiration and men would pick up the bondage cover and get the message of the strong female within (while still having bondage).

    What a very strange man. But as I always say - "Our lot loves the lavishly ludicrous."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like Gail and think she is up to the challenge, Wonder Woman needs a constant voice, and I am pretty fucking sure Simone has that voice the axe comment especially.

    I like Kelly's Supergirl though, so back off people! Why do female titles have to be written by women?

    Do male titles have to be written by males?

    I liked Heinberg's take, and it is unfortunate that Grey's Anatomy destroyed it, but I do believe Gail can achieve greatness with this title.

    And thanks fo the kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went out and bought a bunch of those Wonder Woman archives-- I wanted to see how much creepiness really was in those things. I also have been digging up old copies of the Silver Age WW stuff because I have been looking at them on Scans_daily and sites that always post those terrible panels where she is just a stupid girl.
    Here is the one thing I noticed that I never really see anyone comment on: When Marston was doing those stories, Wonder Woman was a domme and when anybody else did them, Wonder Woman was a sub. She has always been the bondage queen, true, but in those old Golden Age stories, Wonder Woman is almost always smiling at the bad guy or making a quietly snide remark at the bad guy. She never seems to really be AFRAID of the bad guy. She never seems to be taking any of this TOO seriously. It'a as though she seems to know that she is really going to win and that she is going to come out the victor. To me, as I read these stories, Wonder Woman comes across more as the mightiest, most worthy Amazon who happens to be a princess and one of the most innovative medical Amazon scientists. The Golden Age adventures are chock full of Marston's fetishy take on things, yes, but it seems because of those beliefs, he never really depicts Wonder Woman as a total WEAKLING either. She is never a poor helpless girl. There ARE poor helpless girls but Wonder Woman is never one.
    The Silver Age adventures are full of that stuff. Wonder Woman is insecure, Wonder Woman is an idiot, Wonder Woman is genuinely helpless and afraid.
    I really would like to see Gail Simone depict Wonder Woman with that assuredness in the face of danger and to touch on those other aspects of the Wonder Woman mythos that are always tossed out whenever somebody comes along with a Bold New Direction; the idea that maybe a society of people would develop their own sciences and technologies, that Wonder Woman is also a skilled physician and scientist, that Wonder Woman would have some real confidence that a leader of a people and an only child would have. I hope to also see Diana depicted as an explorer and an adventurer and a rebel. She is the first Amazon that leaves the island, the one that sees a man and says "there's more out there than this island". That other tribe of Amazons from the Middle East come to live on the island and escape but Diana keeps going back out there.
    I have a lot of faith in Gail Simone to bring something different and new to the table.

    ReplyDelete