Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2010

The OS Journal 1/21/10

This is a segment I've created on the blog, updated in the evening, that serves as the "journal/log" of the site. I've discretely separated it from the stories about Megan Fox & butt flora, allowing those readers who have interest specifically in my egocentric introspective ramblings to easily know what's going on with me. To wit: something for the kids at the back of the class who dig that sort of stuff.

Well, today marks the end of a big stretch of overtime I did for my day job. I'm proud that I did the overtime, but it was a lot of overtime and I probably won't be doing that again. I don't feel I had enough free time to promote my upcoming comics, and I'm feeling a little grumpy about it. On the other hand, I still have a little bit of time before the Diamond order cut-off (Feb 11), so I suppose I can make an extra push.

But also: I think I'm still an unknown quantity to some people and until a book like Punisher MAX: Butterfly is in their hands (
or reviewed, or whatever), people really won't know what to expect. So I'm thinking: a big push when that and Girl Comics #1 comes out on the stand, and then focus on when the next project is solicited.

Honestly, if any of you fine people have insights on how to promote the book to retailers and whatnot, feel free to let me know.

I recently did a big interview with a big website on the upcoming projects, and I let my guard down and was pretty balls-out about
everything. When the interview is posted, it's a must-read. I've been pretty reserved in the press & public lately, but it's all a bit of "oh what the hell" right now. Of course, that's all tempered with "let's not be a total ass and bring shame to everywhere you go." It's a balancing act.

Just saw the cover to my new edition of Memoirs of An Occasional Superheroine, which will be released hopefully within the next couple of weeks. The cover is done by my friend Tiffany Kamerman, and really I
just barked like some sort of strange dolphin/dog hybrid when I saw it. It was so totally *me*. I couldn't believe it. It was wonderful; I can't wait for you to see it. It's like I could stop aging and the picture would age for me. It's spooky-accurate and cool.

So I'm very psyched about that, and am just planning for the future. I've been doing social media/PR for other people for almost three years, now – but you know it's hard to get that all-import
ant objective perspective for one's self. I guess even this blog is sort of like PR, but it just doesn't have that boffo socko promotional quality I see so many talented artists and writers work so well.

Just came back from the bar; I've been trying to "sell" underwear all day at my day job, which is very cool don't get me wrong, but I needed that down-time at the local pub.

Anything else to say tonight? Well, just psyched at the possibility of watching Community & Parks & Recreation on the DVR. Sort of watched it at the bar, but that was not really real.


Tomorrow is a Day Off for me:



Got an article to finish, but in theory this should be a mellow time.

Current picture on my laptop wallpaper:


But I guarantee you this will change.


5 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:40 AM

    There are a number of things about this post that baffle me.

    1) You've been working a long stretch of overtime at your day job and yet you've also been posting more on your blog (sometimes several times daily) than ever.

    2) You do social media/PR for other people despite having some social anxiety issues.

    I don't get it.

    And you know, you're kind of an unknown quantity to your blog readers as well in that we haven't experienced your comic writing talents, yet.

    Thanks for the post (and the increase in posts in general), Val. I always enjoy your perspective on things and your sense of humor. Enjoy your day off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "1) You've been working a long stretch of overtime at your day job and yet you've also been posting more on your blog (sometimes several times daily) than ever."

    a) It relieves stress.
    b) It's a stress-reliever that I can conveniently do between assignments & not leave my computer – admittedly, not the healthiest strategy in the world.
    c) I see the maintenance of my blog as the bare minimum I can do on a regular basis to help the sales of my books.

    "2) You do social media/PR for other people despite having some social anxiety issues."

    That one is easy: it's compensation. Online PR is done largely through a computer, a "once-removed" interface that diffuses the anxiety. I've learned such elaborate ways to communicate and promote oneself on the Internet exactly because I'm shy in "real life." And I get paid good money to teach other people how to do it, too.

    "And you know, you're kind of an unknown quantity to your blog readers as well in that we haven't experienced your comic writing talents, yet."

    My comic book writing is a translation into the graphic medium of what I put into "Goodbye To Comics" and my memoirs. For example, if somebody really enjoyed reading "Goodbye To Comics" and found it powerful, they will not be disappointed with a book like Punisher MAX: Butterfly. The comics just takes my prose to a whole new level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, a good rule of thumb is that if you see me post over 5 posts in any given day, chances are I'm trying to jettison a lot of stress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:13 PM

    "That one is easy: it's compensation. Online PR is done largely through a computer, a "once-removed" interface that diffuses the anxiety. I've learned such elaborate ways to communicate and promote oneself on the Internet exactly because I'm shy in "real life." And I get paid good money to teach other people how to do it, too."

    I can understand that to some extent. For instance, I would never talk to you in real life because of my own social anxiety issues but I feel much more comfortable leaving anonymous comments on blogs. But I still hate putting my real name on things on teh internets. Once it's out there it's out there forever. But I guess once it's out there, you can kind of determine who accepts you for who you are/what you do and who doesn't.

    "Also, a good rule of thumb is that if you see me post over 5 posts in any given day, chances are I'm trying to jettison a lot of stress."

    Well, at least it's creative and not something more maladaptive like overuse of the local pub. But it sucks that you've been under so much stress lately. I hope everything works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:40 PM

    Wow, they are trying their hardest to make Levitt greasy-sexy.

    ReplyDelete