Pages

Monday, December 28, 2009

Fourth Wall Cavalcade

I did this one a while ago but never had a chance to post it. I recently read a run of Vertigo's The Unwritten, though – and it really brought this topic to the fore. So here it is.












This clip from "Waking Life" is my all-time favorite excerpt from a movie. "Waking Life" director Richard Linklater discusses Philip K. Dick and stranger things with the movie's protagonist Wiley Wiggins (just to blur reality further, Wiley plays himself in the film)



4 comments:

  1. Duck amuck!

    http://www.kinexis.com/moviesseivom/DaffyPainted2.jpg

    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f2/Dafffyduck.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grant Morrison does take a lot of credit for exploring the concept of breaking down the fourth wall and creating a metafictional narrative but you know what? It don't mean shit to me. I wasn't impressed because I had seen it all before.

    You see, when I was three, I read a book you might have heard of called THE MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS BOOK: STARRING LOVABLE, FURRY OLD GROVER by Jon Stone. Truly, the notion of the text acknowledging it's own existence as a fictional construct and addressing the reader directly began for me with this groundbreaking, frankly, mindfuck of a story that literally fights the reader as you read it.

    It will change you, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:59 AM

    The Office isn't breaking the fourth wall, though. It's a mockumentary. Although, I guess you COULD say that, since its been going for six years, it is sort of a fourth wall break as the cameramen are simply a Deus ex Machina.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All that Fourth Wall, and no Deadpool?

    I'm convinced what lies beyond The Wall at The Source on the Fourth World is...the Fourth Wall.

    Ah, Dorian, THE MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS BOOK. Loved it. Just referenced it in an issue of DOSE.

    ReplyDelete